Here we go with the Top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending July 14, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of July 21st, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-It’s been long overdue, but the ROH World Tag Team Champions finally got their first #1 ranking as a team. First, they defeated the makeshift team of Rocky Romero & Tommaso Ciampa on 7/18 to retain the titles and then they followed that up on 7/19 by defeating The Monster Mafia. It’s clear that the voters were looking for some consistency out of one of the best tag teams in the world and a weekend where they had 2 big victories to run their win streak to 6 was exactly what the doctor ordered. The 3 time ROH World Tag Team Champions now have a #1 ranking to add to their impressive list of accolades…now let’s see if they can do it again and keep the momentum going. #5 in the online poll.
2. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-When you this write-up, you have to try to find new adjectives to make it interesting, but The Cutter Brothers have been ranked so many times that we’re starting to run out of ways to describe what they’re doing this year. They have consistently been in the Top 5 and this week was no different after they won a big 4 way at IWA Mid-South vs. Dale Patricks & Johnny Rotten Sixx, Gary Jay & The American Viking, and Josh Crane & Tripp Cassidy on 7/17. Their record is an impressive 7-2 over the last 4 weeks. Very few teams team as often as these two and very few win as often. Their debuts at DREAMWAVE and AAW the last 2 weeks were a welcome surprise. Look for more big things throughout 2014.
3. Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian)-Surprisingly, this is the former TNA World Tag Team Champions’ first time cracking the Top 5. Unfortunately for them, with their name value, they’re stuck in big-time matches and have come up on the losing end until ROH over the weekend. They scored two big victories after defeating Adam Cole & Jay Lethal on 7/18 and then followed that up with a #1 Contendership win in a 4 Way vs. War Machine, The Briscoes, and The Decade. Now that they’re getting out all over the place on the indies, you can expect to see them popping up in the Top 5 more and more.
4. The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield @MrHatfield4 & Mark Angelosetti @MarkAngelosetti)-This CHIKARA tag team had arguably the biggest weekend of any other team with their victory over The Pieces of Hate to win the CHIKARA Campeonatos de Parejas. Unfortunately for them, that win was slightly overshadowed (for our purposes) by the loss vs. The Flood and Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes on 7/19. They had a chance for a 3rd #1 ranking, but the loss ultimately cost them a chance at the #1, but their victory the next day was so huge that it was impossible to deny them from the Top 5. Despite the loss, they have still won 11 of their last 12 matches.
5. Black Wall Street (Napalm Bomb & Solo)-The MCW Tag Team Champions have come VERY close to reaching the Top 5 several times, but they finally breakthrough this week after defeating Adam Flash & Ronnie Zukko on 7/19 to retain their titles. That was their 7th straight win as a team and now that they’ve finally gotten into the Top 5, the sky’s the limit for this team. If they keep winning, it’s likely they’ll keep getting ranked.
People’s Champs. England’s Calling (Joel Redman @NXTOliverGrey & Martin Stone)-The RPW British Tag Team Champions got on the poll by defeating The Kartel (former People’s Champs) to retain the titles on 7/20, which was their 2nd straight win. The poll itself was a WAR between Music City Wrecking Crew, Soul Shooters, and England’s Calling, but when it was all said and done, the UK prevailed once again for the 2nd straight week after 135 votes were cast for this impressive team.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Music City Wrecking Crew-#2 in the online poll with 121 votes
Candice & Joey
Beer City Bruisers-#4 in the online poll with 20 votes
Soul Shooters-#3 in the online poll with 97 votes
Scotty Slade & Brian Milonas
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog