Here we go with the Top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending August 4, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of August 4th, 2014
1. OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist)-Call them The Ring Rydas, call them Irish Airborne, or their most well-known name now “Ohio is for Killers” but just remember how good of a tag team they are. Over the weekend they ended the long reign of Aaron Williams & Ron Mathis at D1W to add some new gold to their collection. They are now the JCW and D1W Tag Team Champions and the official voters really came out to support them this week. This is their 2nd #1 ranking, a feat that has not been accomplished by very many teams. #2 in the online poll with 27 votes.
2. AC/DC (Arik Cannon & Darin Corbin)-Hard to believe that this is the first ranking for the DREAMWAVE Tag Team Champions. They’ve had some close calls where they almost got in, but they finally broke through this week after defeating The Hooligans. Don’t forget the importance of that victory as The Hooligans are currently #1 in the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014. That big win shot them all the way up the ranks this week as several official voters even had them at #1. If they can keep that momentum going, a #1 ranking is inevitable.
3. Helter Skelter (Alex Castle & Markus Crane)-Much like AC/DC, surprisingly, this is their first time in the Tag Team Top 5. They’ve come close on more than one occasion, but this week was the time when they finally got in. After a win vs. The Young Bucks recently, they had all the momentum on their side as they defeated The Devastation Corporation on 8/2 to run their win streak to 3 straight, having won 4 of their last 5 matches. With wins over 2 former #1 Tag Teams (Team Lucha/Los Ben Dejos and The Best Friends) during that span, this ranking was long overdue.
4. London Riots (Rob Lynch & James Davis)-The former #1 and former People’s Champs jump back into the top 5 after defeating D&D Security on 8/3 to retain the titles in a “Riots Rules” Match. In recent weeks they hadn’t been quite as dominant as they had been over the last few months, but perhaps that win combined with this ranking could be the type of thing that could get them back on a roll. They have proven to be more consistently successful than any tag team in the UK this year. Time will tell if that will continue.
5. Roscoe Eat Lisa (Mikey McFinnegan & Zakk Sawyers)-They are now TWO time People’s Champs after winning the online voting competition this week for a 2nd time with 44 votes. What got them into that position was their victory over The Viking War Party for the SNPW Tag Team Titles. This is their first venture into the Tag Team Top 5, but the way things are going for them, it’s unlikely it will be their last.
Honorable Mention. Beautiful Bald Besties (Michael Stevens & Zac Edwards)-The NEW UIW Tag Team Champions came just a vote or two away from cracking the Tag Team Top 5, but what ultimately cost them was the lack of votes in the online voting competition. Those votes count!
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Hooligans-#4 in the online poll
Jamin Olivencia & Chris Silvio-#3 in the online poll
Rock N Roll Express
Two Star Heroes-#5 in the online poll
Ricky Cruz & Brandon Espinosa
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog