Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending August 18, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of August 18th, 2014
1. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-Whether it’s in Mexico or in the States, these Hooligans don’t slow down for anything. The PGP, Zero 1 USA, and High Risk Tag Team Champions took their fat guy flips to Mexico over the weekend and emerged undefeated after a very successful weekend South of the Border. They’ve had an amazing 2014 and this only helps solidify their #1 spot in the Tag Team Top 50 for this year. There are just a few months left in 2014 and with teams like Juicy Product and Team IOU nipping at their heels, can these bearded bullies hang on to the #1 ranking for the year? One thing is for sure, they’ll be doing the Hooligan Hustle in an attempt to get their names out there even further. Wins over teams like The Young Bucks are just the type of thing these competitors crave. Congrats again to this fantastic tag team on yet another #1 ranking. #4 in the online poll.
2. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-While they just barely missed out on their 2nd #1 ranking this year, this dominant tag team scored arguably the biggest win of the weekend when they once again turned away the challenge of Bad Influence at ROH’s Field of Honor show on 8/15. They’ve got a lot of challengers lining up for a crack at their titles and if they can come away with a few victories in the upcoming months, there’s no doubt that we’ll be seeing them at the top spot in the Top 5 once again. Next up for this team is an 8 Man Elimination Match vs. The Briscoes, Christopher Daniels, and Frankie Kazarian, followed by another match with The Young Bucks. Time will tell if they can keep their stranglehold on the ROH World Tag Team Titles.
3. OI4K (Dave Crist @OIFK1324 & Jake Crist)-2 weeks ago they were sitting in the #1 spot in the Tag Team Top 5 for a second time, but after just a bit of inactivity as a team, they return this week to the #3 spot. On 8/13 they defeated Ron Mathis & Zakk Spadez at Rockstar Pro, proving that the D1W & JCW Tag Team Champions can be successful anywhere they compete together. One thing we would like to see is for Rockstar Pro to create a set of Tag Team Titles for this talented tag team to set their sights on. With a lot of heavy competition this week, they still managed to make their way into the Top 5 and that says something about their success and ability as a team.
4. The Colony (Fire Ant @TheFireAnt & Silver Ant @TheSilverAnt)-Surprisingly this is the very first ranking in the Tag Team Top 5 for these CHIKARA regulars. One could point the finger to the fact that CHIKARA did not run for a lot of the year, but it’s also due to the fact that The Colony haven’t gotten to team as much as they probably would have liked. That being said, this week was probably their biggest weekend of the year as they teamed with Icarus & The Throwbacks to defeat The Flood & The Devastation Corporation on 8/16 and then they won a big Four Way Tag Team Elimination Match, defeating Los Ice Creams, The McGoths, and The Osirian Portal on 8/17 to go 2-0 on the weekend. We absolutely hope to see more of this team in 2014.
5. 3.0 (Scott Parker @Jagged3point0 & Shane Matthews @Shane3point0)-After a very good 2013, they’ve been slightly MIA in the Indy Power Rankings/Tag Team Top 5 this year. Much like The Colony, however, this was their weekend to prove themselves once again against some solid competition. On 8/16 they defeated Colony Xtreme Force and then on 8/17 they teamed with Archibald Peck to defeat The Wrecking Crew. No doubt their reputation as a good team helped them sneak in the Top 5 this week as there were a handful of undefeated teams over the weekend, but 3.0 had what it took to get the nod at #5 from the official voters.
People’s Champs. Team IOU (Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @NickIggy)-A boy and his dog rise to the occasion once again as after a successful week at SWE on 8/15, they enter the poll and come out victorious once again with 56 votes from their fans. They’re still sitting at #2 in the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014 and (cheap plug) you can pick up their t-shirts at http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts-1/team-iou.html
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
The Worst Case Scenario-#2 in the online poll with 47 votes
Roscoe Eat Lisa-#3 in the online poll with 31 votes
The Brutes-#5 in the online poll
Salt N’ Pimpin
The Von Dooms
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog