Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending August 25, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of August 18th, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-Despite the fact that they were the first team eliminated in the big 8 Man Elimination Match on 8/23 at ROH, they still get in because (as they would probably agree and say themselves) “a win is a win.” In the record books, much like a DQ or a countout, reDRagon will be credited with a win from that match and at the end of the day that just helped pad their 8 out of 9 match win stat. It wasn’t their strongest showing in a weekend, but no one else really did enough to push them away from the top spot considering they were ranked #2 last week and they hold perhaps the most prestigious tag team titles (the ROH World Tag Team Titles) on all the indies. They have some big rematches looming in the near future so with this being their 2nd #1 ranking this year, it will be a fun ride to see if they can score a few more before the end of the year.
2. Juicy Product (JT Dunn @TheJuiceee & David Starr @TheProductDS)-The former 7 time #1’s in the Tag Team Top 5 jumped back into the mix of things this week after a successful NYWC Tag Team Title defense vs. Milk Chocolate on 8/22. They’ve slowed down a bit after securing the CZW, FIP, NYWC, and WSU Tag Team Titles, BUT that doesn’t mean that they haven’t been competing at all…just less frequently over the last few weeks as a team. They had a solid case for #1 this week, but got beaten out by reDRagon…and for the record the #1 and #2 teams would be a dream match for independent wrestling fans if somehow that match were to happen (paging…Beyond Wrestling…Beyond Wrestling…book it!). Over as fuck as always.
3. Legendary (Malia Hosaka & Brandi Wine)-Surprisingly the SHINE Tag Team Champions didn’t get much support in the online voting competition, but that being said, they proved their worth with a successful title defense vs. Lucha Sisters on 8/22 at SHINE 21. They’ve won 3 straight matches as a team and don’t show any signs of stopping. One thing that could help a future ranking is if they could possibly start teaming in some other places. There’s no doubt if they can do that and achieve even more success, a #1 ranking wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility.
4. Kimber Bombs (Kimber Lee @KimberLee90 & Cherry Bomb @cherrrybomb)-It’s the first time in the Tag Team Top 5 for this pairing (Kimber Lee was once #1 with Annie Social) as they had a very good win over the weekend at SHINE 21 vs. SNS Express. While they didn’t quite crack the Top 5 in the fan vote (they were just one vote away from the #5 spot) they still had a very impressive showing in the poll as well. We hope to see this pairing more in the future and as we said on Twitter…next up…a title shot? One thing is for sure, this female tag team can compete on the level of any of their male counterparts.
5. People’s Champs. Monster Mafia (Josh Alexander (@Walking_Weapon) & Ethan Page/Ethan Gabriel Owens @OfficialEGO)-This Canadian tag team ended up winning the online vote by a very big margin after they collected 156 votes, which helped them slip into the #5 spot this week. One can’t argue with their inclusion this week despite just a 1-1 record. Their victory over Shane Sabre & Kirk Warmack for the Fringe Wrestling Tag Team Titles was their 3rd set of tag titles together as they also lay claim to the IWL and AAW Tag Team Titles. With them competing more and more at ROH, their star is definitely on the rise in 2014.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
The Killbillies-#5 in the online poll with 22 votes
Viking War Party
Roderick Strong & Jimmy Jacobs
F1rst Generation-#2 in the online poll with 119 votes
EYFBO-#4 in the online poll with 33 votes
Johnny Adams & The Hurricane
Black Hand Warriors
Team IOU-#3 in the online poll with 64 votes
Jeff Boom & Mitch Mitchell
Greg Anthony & Matt Riviera
Shiloh Jonze & Eric Locker
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog