Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending September 1, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of September 1st, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-Three’s a charm for one of, if not the best tag teams in the world as they score their 3rd #1 ranking this week. They had not been scheduled to compete as a team at PWG, but by chance and unfortunate injuries, they found themselves in a tag match vs. Drew Gulak and Biff Busick on 8/29. As they have done in 9 of their last 10 matches, they came out on top. The ROH World Tag Team Champions have definitely hit their groove and it’s going to be hard to knock them out of the top spot on weekends when they compete as a team. Not only that, they are soaring up the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014. Can they reach #1 before the end of the year? #4 in the online poll.
2. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan @JoeyRyanOnline & Candice LeRae @CandiceLeRae)-This tag team got several #1 votes from the official voters despite the recent dominance of reDRagon. Perhaps their quality victory vs. Bad Influence and Inner City Machine Guns at PWG on 8/29 played a factor or just the prestige of the PWG World Tag Team Titles in general, but regardless, their ranking still ends up being a very high one. They are also the FSP Tag Team Champions as they are now one of the top tag teams on the West Coast and they have certainly branched over the last few months. They have a tour of the UK coming up as well, which will definitely test whether or not they can be as successful overseas. #5 in the online poll.
3. The UK Hooligans (Roy & Zak Knight)-They had (quantity-wise) one of the most successful weekends of anyone in the Top 5. It was only the fact that there were some more established teams in terms of previous rankings that kept them from being ranked even higher this week. The new ECTA Tag Team Champions won the first-ever European Tag Team Grand Prix to win those very titles and in the process picked up a very respectable 2-0-1 record on 8/30. With their reputation across the pond, we’d definitely like to see their names pop up more throughout 2014. Time will tell if they can continue this momentum.
4. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-As usual, these Hooligans don’t slow down for anything. This week they scored one of their biggest recent victories after defeating Aeroform at Fete Music for Beyond Wrestling in Rhode Island. The PGP, High Risk, and Zero 1 USA Tag Team Champions just keep on rolling. While it wasn’t their busiest weekend in terms of amount of matches, the travel itself would be enough to wear anyone out. They’ve got an upcoming tag title title match against The Forgotten at AIW that has a lot of people talking. Can they add another set of gold to their already large collection?
5. F1rst Generation (James Anthony @87JamesAnthony & Victor Andrews @Im_MrEverything)-The RWC Tag Team Champions finally breakthrough into the Top 5, but it was under a strange set of circumstances. First, give them credit for defeating Syde Effect/Creepy Crawler & Powers/Derek Douglas in a 3 Way Elimination Match to retain the titles over the weekend. The odd part of their ranking is that they came JUST short of winning the online voting competition, BUT somehow managed to sneak in at #5 over Team IOU. Quite simply, they had a tad more support from the official voters and thus, they broke on through. Congrats on their first official ranking as a team! #2 in the online poll with 78 votes.
People’s Champs. Team IOU (Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @IggyNJ210)-Get this…they have now won the online voting competition NINE times now. That means this is their 9th People’s Champ award for this Midwest tag team who branched out to Beyond Wrestling in Rhode Island where they defeated Scotty Slade & Oleg the Usurper on 8/31. They came SO close to getting back into the Top 5 this week, but just barely missed out. #1 in the online poll with 86 votes.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Crusade for Change
Beer City Bruisers-#3 in the online poll with 26 votes
Shiloh Jonze & Eric Locker
Miracle Violence Connection
Please donate to this very worthy charity: http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=591023
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog