Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending September 15, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of September 15th, 2014
1. People’s Champs. Juicy Product (JT Dunn @TheJuiceee & David Starr @TheProductDS)-They already had the record for most #1’s this year, but they added to that this week with yet another #1 ranking to add to the record. They are now #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 for the 8th time after defeating Chicks Using Nasty Tactics to retain the WSU Tag Team Titles on 9/13 and then despite David Starr’s concussion, they managed to retain the CZW World Tag Team Titles in a 3 Way Ladder Match vs. OI4K and The Beaver Boys. This team STILL has 4 sets of tag team titles and they’re still “over as fuck.” Oh and on top of all of that, they swept the #1 ranking from the official voters AND the fan poll which is their second time doing that and if we’re not mistaken, they’re still the only ones to have done that. What a year for this team. Believe the hype and look at it.
2. Premier Athlete Brand (Caleb Konley @calebkonley & Anthony Nese @TonyNese)-Perhaps the biggest single victory over the weekend belonged to PAB as they knocked off The Bravados and AR Fox & Rich Swann in a 3 Way Tag Team Elimination Match to win the DGUSA Open the United Gate Tag Team Titles. The official voters recognized the importance of this victory and showered them with #2 votes. Though it was going to be nearly impossible to overcome the efforts of Juicy Product over the weekend, Konley & Nese most definitely earned their #2 spot this week with such a huge title win. #4 in the online poll.
3. The Killbillies (Aric Andrews @WhiteAric & Evan Banks @ebanks63)-The CWF Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions have been snubbed time and time again, but this week after winning a tag team match and defending their titles for a second straight week, there was little choice but to include them in the Top 5. Their victory over Ray Kandrack & Walter Eaton on 9/13 was their 5th straight win as a team, overall, and it marks a very good spot in the Top 5 for this team that is absolutely on the rise in the North Carolina area. #2 in the online poll.
4. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-Yet again this fat, flippy, bad ass tag team pops up in the Top 5. There’s a reason they’re currently sitting in the #1 spot in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 and it’s simply consistency. While they may go a week or two without any big victories, they usually bounce back with a weekend like this where they wrestle 4 times and win 3 of those matches. Their victory on Sunday at the Beyond tapings vs. Team IOU, American Trash, and The Viking War Party in a 4 Way was particularly impressive and once again, they made an impression on the voters and got ranked. What more can be said about these guys? #3 in the online poll.
5. Time Splitters (KUSHIDA @KUSHIDA_CANADA & Alex Shelley @fakekinkade)-This tag team is quietly (as quiet as you can be in New Japan) plugging away with win after win after win. This past week they won a couple of 6 Man Tag Team matches at New Japan to run their recent record to an impressive 4 out of 5 matches being wins. They likely would have been higher considering they are the IWGP Junior Tag Team Champions if at least one of those wins was a straight up tag, but of course with the wins they stayed relevant and snuck into the Top 5 once again. Tied for #5 in the online poll.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Redneck Wrecking Crew
Parental Discretion-Tied for #5 in the online poll.
New Age Kliq
The Wild Boyz
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog