Here we go with the Top 10 independent stars of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog; where we rank the best professional wrestlers from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 10 most popular wrestlers in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending September 29, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of September 29th, 2014
1. Josef Von Schmidt (@JosefVonSchmidt)-The PWA CT International Champion (and Wrestling on Fire Heavyweight Champion, FSW Heavyweight Champion, HWC Undaground Heavyweight Champion, CPW Champion, PWR Champion, XCW Champion, & DD Heavyweight Champion) defeated AR Fox on 9/26 to retain the title and then defeated Abyss by countout on 9/27 to once again retain the title. As if his list of titles wasn’t enough, he added one more this week by grabbing his first ever #1 ranking. In all honestly, when he got ranked last year for the first time, he was a virtual unknown to many of the Indy Power Rankings’ official voters. Now…he’s at the top of the mountain. Congrats to the title collector himself, JVS! #5 in the online poll with 43 votes.
2. Shynron (@Dragon_Shynron)-Robbed again? After another stellar weekend where he defended and retained the Chile Lucha Libre Title, he once again comes close to scoring his first #1 ranking, but instead he gets a very high ranking for the 2nd straight week, but not quite a #1. In fact, he just BARELY snuck into the #2 spot over Yamamoto this week. The talent is there, no doubt. The question now is whether last week’s People’s Champion can continue this roll he’s on and carry it over into his first ever #1 ranking. It’s been a fun run for this great talent.
3. Yamamoto (@YoshiTatsulsm)-Another top talent. Another consistent name over the last couple of months. While he didn’t quite get the top spot, he once again gets a very good ranking (his highest yet) after adding yet another title to his collection. He is now the Florida Heavyweight Champion, The Southern Heavyweight Champion, and now the RIOT PRO Champion after defeating Rhett Giddins for the title over the weekend. Look for a quick interview with him on our YouTube Channel (“indy pr”) thanking fans for the support. Big props to Zack Ryder for shooting out the voting link in support of Yamamoto! #3 in the online poll with 69 votes.
4. Biff Busick (@_StarDESTROYER)-The CZW World Champion has not been seen in the Top 10 in quite some time. While he has been #1 this year (a goal that he had set for himself in 2013) it’s been a few months since he got some recognition, but he earned just that after defeating former champion Drew Gulak in Dayton on 9/27. He’s one of the best in the world and he solidified that this week with another solid ranking. If he can pick up the winning pace a bit, another #1 ranking isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
5. People’s Champion. Chase Matthews (@ChaseMatthews00)-Rise of Matthews? Who can argue with that at this point? He has been tearing up the Midwest over the last few months. The PWAS Detroit Cruisercore Champion may drop a random match here or there, but very few people have been on the grind as much as he has recently. Mad props to the guy who has been doing whatever it takes to get his name out there recently. Plug: He’ll be on the Indy Power Rankings Reveal on 10/7 at 3 PM EST! Tune in! He also won the online voting competition with an impressive 100 votes. His popularity is soaring. Buy his shirt here: http://www.tshirtworldorder.com/#!product/prd1/2655481271/chase-matthews
6. Jason Kincaid (@GiftKincaid)-The NWA Smoky Mountain Champion of 3 years now and former Indy Power Rankings People’s Champion finds his way into the Top 10 once again. This time he gets in after a successful defense of his title on 9/26 vs. Jeff Connelly. He then added yet another title to his vast collection when he defeated Silencer for the APWA Junior Heavyweight Title on 9/27 in a Ladder Match. The former People’s Champion of the Indy Power Rankings has had an absolutely dominant year. Yet another ranking just pushes him further up the IPR 100. We’ve got just 3 months to go!
7. Jay Briscoe (@jaybriscoe84)-The ROH World Champion earns another ranking after defending his newly won title vs. Michael Bennett on 9/27. With the unpredictability of the title right now, it was anything but a lock that he’d come away with a victory, but he did. His 2nd title reign has now earned him two rankings and while he has yet to get back to #1 (where he was before his injury last year) he just keeps racking up wins and making the likelihood of another #1 just that much more favorable.
8. Tim Donst (@tdonst)-This week, many of the official voters had to decide which titles were the most prestigious as many of the top names won just one match. Donst was one of those names. Obviously the voters felt that his victory over Matt Tremont combined with the title he holds (the AIW Absolute Title) was enough to get him into the Top 10 this week despite some others with multiple wins. Donst has had a fantastic 2014 and shows no signs of stopping. More title defenses should equal more rankings as the year moves forward.
9. Ruby Raze (@Razerpops)-What a great month it’s been for the NWA Vendetta Pro Luna Vachon Cup Winner…well sort of. On Friday 9/26 she got her mouth busted open on the way to a victory vs. Ali Hussein at Santino Bros. That unfortunate rearrangement of her face didn’t slow her down as she moved on to AWS on 9/27 and knocked off Melissa Coates in another hard-fought contest. She is doing absolutely everything right at the moment, so we’ll continue to expect big things from her in the future! Make sure you to tune into the Archives on Filling the Void Radio and listen to her on the Indy Power Rankings Reveal (link at the bottom of this write-up). #6 in the online poll with 34 votes.
10. Steve Corino (@KINGCorino)-Hard to believe that the Indy Power Rankings have been around since January of 2013 and Steve Corino has yet to crack the Top 10. Such is the nature of the IPR sometimes though. Some of the best talents don’t always get ranked, BUT for Corino, that changed this week when he defeated Doug Williams for the WAW Heavyweight Title on 9/27. He has won innumerable amounts of championships over the years and this particular win managed to sneak him into the Top 10 this week. Congrats to the former ECW World Champion!
Honorable Mention. Tyler Bateman(@Tyler_Bateman)-After a 3-0 weekend the Santino Bros Submission Champion came as close as anyone to getting into the Top 10 and JUST BARELY missed out. We hope to see more of him down the line.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Miss Disslexia-#4 in the online poll with 53 votes.
Sol de Oro-17 votes
Warlock-#2 in the online poll with 71 votes.
Mark Maverick-20 votes
Kyle Ripley-#7 in the online poll with 27 votes.
Jay Anthony-Tied for #8 in the online poll with 24 votes.
Brute VanSlyke-12 votes
Brock Hall-11 votes
Jesus De Leon
Joey Avalon- Tied for #8 in the online poll with 24 votes.
Peter Schwanz-#10 in the online poll with 22 votes
AJ Styles-14 votes
Deadly Dale-9 votes
And there you have it, the top 10 of the best independent wrestling stars of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie and the OFFICIAL Barbwire Blog Twitter @BarbwireBlog