Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending September 29, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of September 29th, 2014
1. OI4K (Jake & Dave Crist @OIFK1324)-Three’s a charm! The former Irish Airborne grabbed their 3rd #1 ranking this year after adding to their title collection when they defeated 8 Time former #1’s Juicy Product for the CZW World Tag Team Titles on 9/27. That title win combined with them holding the D1W Tag Team Titles was enough to swing the vote in their direction. The win over Juicy Product along with the title win was HUGE as very few teams have been able to overcome the challenge of JT Dunn & David Starr recently. That being said, a rematch is no doubt in the works. Can OI4K keep that top spot and continue their successful 2014? #3 in the online poll with 47 votes.
2. The Young Bucks (Nick Jackson @NickJacksonYB & Matt Jackson @MattJackson13)-The Jackson boys miss out on #1 again, but damn was it ever a good week for them! For one of the best tag teams in the world, it has NOT been their most successful year in terms of wins and losses. They’ve suffered a slew of losses (while of course putting on classics) and have been MIA from the Top 5 recently. Last week they righted the ship when they defeated Forever Hooligans at New Japan and then went on to win the IWL Tag Team Titles back from Monster Mafia on 9/27 to wrap up the weekend. While they have not been #1 yet this year, it’s impossible to leave them out of the discussion for best tag team in the world right now. #4 in the online poll with 16 votes.
3. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-It’s pretty weird to write their names and not have them in the #1 spot after they racked up FOUR #1 rankings over the last couple of months, but heavy competition kept them out of the top spot this week. Granted, their one title defense this week was strong (vs. The Decade at ROH) but at the end of the day, a couple of teams did just a bit more to skate ahead of them this week. That being said, they’re still near the top of the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 and they still have a few more months to build on that end of year ranking and prove that reDRagon are not only the ROH World Tag Team Champions…but the best tag team in the world as well.
4. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-It’s not a Tag Team Top 5 without the bearded bullies making an appearance. At least that’s how it seems. For the 3rd straight week they get ranked at #4. While the teams ahead of them had more publicized wins, you have to give credit to Devin & Mason Cutter for traveling to Mexico and rattling off yet another win down there. They have become quite the world travelers which has only added to their notoriety this year. Tied for #5 in the online poll.
5. Team Lucha (Jay Rios & Jay Cruz @LosBenDejos)-The PWX Tag Team Champions added some more gold to their waists over the weekend when they defeated former Tag Team Top 5 People’s Champs Generation Genesis on 9/26 at NWA Signature Pro Underground to win the NWA FUW Tag Team Titles. The now Double Champions have had a stellar year after getting a #1 ranking and putting on great matches all over the U.S. Whether you call them Los Ben Dejos or Team Lucha, you have to call them successful.
People’s Champs. Peace, Love, & Wrestling (Hippy Dicky Moon @HippyDickyMoon & Grappling Greg @GrapplingGreg)-This team came out of NOWHERE to win the online voting competition this week. They were WAY behind about halfway through the voting and then just had a storm of votes come into pass up F1rst Generation for the People’s Champs award this week. NEW PWA CT Tag Team Champions and now Tag Team Top 5 People’s Champs with 104 votes. Congrats to them!
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
F1rst Generation-#2 in the online poll with 77 votes
Che Cabrera & Rico Dynamite-Tied for #5 in the online poll
Blood 4 Blood
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog