Here we go with the Top 10 independent stars of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog; where we rank the best professional wrestlers from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 10 most popular wrestlers in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending October 6, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of October 6th, 2014
10. Athena (@wg06athena)-The AIW Women’s Champion returns to the Top 10 this week after defeating Allysin Kay on 10/4 in a No DQ Match. To further solidify her ranking, she knocked off Veda Scott on 10/4 to once again retain the title. She’s had an amazing 2014 and it’s not over yet. She has been putting women on notice all over the country and last weekend was no different.
9. AJ Styles (@AJStylesOrg)-The IWGP Heavyweight Champion had another good weekend after defeating Doug Williams and Rampage Brown on 10/4 at SOW Super Clash 2.2014 has absolutely been his year as he continues to pick up wins left and right as he has one of the most prestigious titles in the world. With him already in the Top 10 of the IPR 100, this does nothing but help his chances to move up even higher before the end of the year.
8. Lance Lude (@lancelude)-The current PWI Ultra J Champion won the 14th Annual CWF Rumble in a gruelling 110 minute battle on 10/4. The prestige of this victory, combined with his current title, was enough to get the official voters to come and support him. He’s had a fantastic year after being the PWX I-TV Champion as well as his current title, combined with the CWF Rumble win. Expect more good things as 2014 moves along and 2015 begins.
7. Arik Cannon (@ArikCannon)-Despite absolutely no fan support in the online vote, he still gets a decent ranking after becoming a Double Champion at DREAMWAVE on 10/4. He was just ½ of the DREAMWAVE Tag Team Champions but he added to that when he pinned Lince Dorado in a match with all the titles on the line (also involving Matt Cage and Darin Corbin) on 10/4. Surprisingly, this is his first singles ranking (he has been ranked with AC/DC in the Tag Team Top 5 this year).
6. Davey Boy Smith, Jr. (@DBSmithjr)-The son of The British Bulldog had a very impressive weekend in Europe as he defeated Axel Tischer on 10/3 at wXw, then teamed with Autsiders to defeat Keel Holding & Tommy End on 10/3 and then defeated Martin Stone at SOW Super Clash 2 on 10/4 to go 3-0 on the weekend. Despite him being one of the most well-known wrestlers on the indies, this is his first singles ranking (he had been ranked in 2013 with the Killer Elite Squad). If he can build on this, he’ll have the opportunity to climb into the IPR 100 by the end of the year.
5. Yamamoto (@YoshiTatsulsm)-The Florida Heavyweight Champion, The Southern Heavyweight Champion, and RIOT PRO Champion defeated another champion over the weekend as he beat FIP Florida Heritage Champion Chasyn Rance at BELIEVE on 10/4. While he does drop a bit this week (he was #3 last week) it was only due to the fact that so many people had multiple wins this week. Since his departure from the WWE, Yamamoto has become the King of Florida. Can anyone dethrone the King? #8 in the online poll with 21 votes.
4. Kongo Kong/Osyris (@RealKongoKong)-The IWA Mid-South World Champion continued his dominance there as he defeated Ace Perry on 10/2 and then followed that up with a tag team team win at WCWO on 10/3 and then finally defeated former People’s Champion Lightning Bolt Johnson at FWF on 10/4 in a much-heralded match. Kong has been virtually unstoppable throughout 2014 and his IPR 100 ranking is likely to bear that out. When the last update of the year (before the end of the year release) came out last week, he was sitting at #7. This ranking can only help his chances to move up once again.
3. Candice LeRae (@CandiceLeRae)-2014 has been a career defining year for Candice as ½ of the World’s Cutest Tag Team has been picking up title over title throughout the year in tag team competition, but this week (after 2 wins in tag team action), she defeated female sensation Ivelisse to win the FWE Women’s Title on 10/4. A 3-0 weekend locks her into the #3 spot this week as she returns to the Top 10 once again. Look for her to place very high in the Tag Team Top 5 along with Joey Ryan after their 2 wins at FWE as well.
2. People’s Champ. Josef Von Schmidt (@JosefVonSchmidt)-The PWA CT International and FSW Heavyweight Champion (and Wrestling on Fire Heavyweight Champion, HWC Undaground Heavyweight Champion, CPW Champion, PWR Champion, XCW Champion, & DD Heavyweight Champion) had another good week. Had it not been for the World Triangle League, it’s very likely he would have been an easy #1 again this week, but circumstances dictated otherwise. That being said, his fans came out in bunches to vote for him this week once again as he secured 213 votes to win the online voting competition and become this week’s People’s Champ.
1. Karsten Beck-This one is kind of surprising, but if you dig deeper, you’d see why this was a no-brainer in the end. Karsten Beck, while he has not yet been ranked this year, won a HUGE tournament over the weekend as he won the wXw/CZW/BNJW World Triangle League 2014 and in the process knocked off Axel Dieter Jr., went to a draw with Zack Sabre Jr. (a former #1), defeated Jonathan Gresham, and then finally won the tournament by beating Biff Busick (also a former #1) and Rich Swann in a 3 Way on 10/5. It was an impressive and prestigious victory as he becomes the first German-born wrestler to get ranked #1. #9 in the online poll.
Honorable Mention. Cliff Compton (@CliffCompton)-What a week for the former WWE Tag Team Champion as he teamed with Colt Cabana to defeat Adam Revolver & Marcus Anthony on 10/1 and then dethroned Melvin Maximus in a 3 Way to become the NEW OVW Heavyweight Champion on 10/4.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Mitch Johnson-#2 in the online poll with 191 votes
Chase Matthews-#3 in the online poll with 144 votes
Steve Brown-#10 in the online poll
Dave Crist-#5 in the online poll with 44 votes
Big Daddy Walter
Brad Hollister-#6 in the online poll with 36 votes
Marc Hauss-#7 in the online poll with 23 votes
Greeko GQ Suave-#4 in the online poll with 96 votes
The Madness of Trip
And there you have it, the 10 of the best independent wrestling stars of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie and the OFFICIAL Barbwire Blog Twitter @BarbwireBlog