Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending October 6, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of October 6th, 2014
5. The Hunter Brothers (Jim & Lee Hunter @JimNLeeHunter)-This team has been VERY good in the UK this year, but because of other heavy competition , they’ve really never been able to turn that success into rankings. This week was a little different. They took advantage of some of the disarray in the tag team scene and went 2-0 to squeak into the Top 5 this week. With wins over former #1’s The London Riots and Ethan Silver & Drew Parker, they earned their ranking, despite absolutely NO fan support in the online voting competition.
4. People’s Champs. F1rst Generation (James Anthony @87JamesAnthony & Victor Andrews @Im_MrEverything)-The RWC (and PWF) Tag Team Champions continued their winning ways over the weekend when they once again defeated Team Fabulous to retain the titles on 10/4. That makes 3 straight wins for the young tag team who have been absolutely on fire lately. On top of that, this is their 2nd People’s Champs Award as they won the online voting competition. Every week their fan support is virtually unmatched (except perhaps by Team IOU…F1rst Generation vs. Team IOU, anyone?) and their 2014 continues to look better and better as the year progresses. #1 in the online voting competition with 11 votes.
3. War Machine (Eric Locker @Locker217 & Shiloh Jonze @ShilohJonze)-The OVW Southern Tag Team Champions get their first ranking and honestly, it’s probably long overdue. They have now won 7 straight matches as a team after defeating Robbie Walker & Tanner Reynolds on 10/1 and then The Wild Boys (to retain the titles) on 10/4. This OVW Tag Team came out of nowhere and is experiencing a lot of success there. The question now is whether they can attain the same type of success as teams like Hayes & Vaez and Bostic & De Luna there. Time will tell.
2. Paul London (@LondonFu) & Brian Kendrick-In a week that didn’t have the usual suspects vying for a ranking (Hooligans and Bucks both had a loss while Juicy Product and reDRagon were inactive) it was a blast from the past that got the nod at #2 as the former WWE Tag Team Champions found success in the UK when they won the ICW Tag Team Titles from the New Age Kliq on 10/5. This could be just the spark that gives them the momentum for further rankings in the upcoming weeks/months.
1. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan @JoeyRyanOnline & Candice LeRae @CandiceLeRae)-Make that 2 times at #1 for the WCTT! Joey & Candice have been on a tear since teaming up on the West Coast. They won the PWG World Tag Team Titles and have been on a nonstop roller coaster since then (and in fact, even before then). With wins at FWE on 10/3 and 10/4 vs. Tommy Dreamer & Ivelisse as well as Christina Von Eerie & Carlito Colon, they proved once again that they are truly one of the elite tag teams in independent wrestling right now. This can only help their ranking at the end of the year in the Tag Team Top 50.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Guns and Beer-#3 in the online poll with 42 votes
Double Down-#2 in the online poll with 60 votes
Dickie Bronson & Jeff Brooks-#4 in the online poll with 21 votes
Hot and Spicy
The Hooligans-#5 in the online poll with 19 votes
Marc Mandrake & The Monster
Jigsaw & Tony Nese
Levi McDaniel & JD Riggs
If Looks Could Kill
The Island Bros
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official Twitter @BarbwireBlog