Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending October 20, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
5. Global Green Gangsters (Kellie Skater @ratetank & Tomoka Nakagawa)-It’s been quite some time since we saw the SHIMMER Tag Team Champions in the rankings, but then, that’s because it’s been a long time since they’ve teamed. That being said, their track record as a team cannot be denied and their impressive weekend at SHIMMER with 3 successful title defenses (2 of which were straight up wins) and 5 matches together was enough to get them back into the Tag Team Top 5 this week among other teams who team a bit more frequently. Unfortunately, we’re unlikely to see them back in the Top 5 until the Spring when SHIMMER has another taping, but this was just another accomplishment to add to their vast collection.
4. Paul London (@LondonFu) & Brian Kendrick-After not getting ranked all year, the former WWE Tag Team Champions and current ICW Tag Team Champions have now been ranked for 3 weeks straight. Granted, they did drop a couple of spots this week due to their wins only being a DQ win and 6 Man Tag Team win this week, but regardless, they continue to prove that they are still one of the most elite teams in the world. How much longer will this run last? It remains to be seen, but very few teams have the edge on them in experience or time together as a team.
3. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan @JoeyRyanOnline & Candice LeRae @CandiceLeRae)-This is actually a somewhat low ranking for the former 2 time #1’s in the Tag Team Top 5, but this was a special week with HEAVY competition. The PWG World Tag Team Champions defeated Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor on 10/17 to retain the titles, which on most weeks may have been enough to warrant a #1 ranking, but again, this was a special week. Not to beleaguer this point, but this ranking (like any other) just further helps their spot in the year-end Tag Team Top 50, so it’s certainly something to be proud of in the grand scheme of things.
2. Country Jacked (Corey Hollis @CoreyHollis & Adam Page @theAdamPage)-The former #1’s finally collected some gold as a team. They did it in VERY impressive fashion as they knocked off 3 of the best teams in all the indies as they beat Los Ben Dejos, The Bravado Bros, and The Worst Case Scenario in a 4 Way to become the NEW PWX Tag Team Champions on 10/19. It was just one more in a string of MANY big wins they’ve had throughout 2014. This ranking most definitely helps their stock in the Tag Team Top 50 and with this ranking and title win will hopefully come successful title defenses. If so, this won’t be the last you hear of this team in the rankings.
1. Killer Elite Squad (@kelitesquad Davey Boy Smith, Jr. @DBSmithJr & Lance Archer @LanceHoyt)-The NEW NWA World Tag Team Champions took their place at the top of the Tag Team Top 5 this week for the very first time. The prestige of the titles they won and the team they beat (TenKoji) played a helping hand in getting them their first #1. This #1 is actually their first time in the Top 5 this year as they’ve had a hard time collecting gold as both have been focused on other things, but this was their moment of glory and it was well-deserved. Now the question is…how much more can they do before the end of 2014? We’re definitely looking forward to finding out! #3 in the online poll.
People’s Champs. Injustice League (James Barton Rigby @JBRWrestler & Troy Stevens @TheTroyStevens)-The NEW PWA CT Tag Team Champions had an absolute WAR with Team IOU in the online voting competition and the underdogs came out ahead of the former 9 time People’s Champs with 182 votes. Give props to them and the company they represent as PWA has now had THREE different tag teams (who were all champs at the time) that have won the online voting competition.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Team IOU-#2 in the online poll with 150 votes
Markus Crane & Dan Lawrence
OI4K-#4 in the online poll
Nick Richards & Jason Miller
Tyler Thomas & Preston Myles
And there it is, the top 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their offifcial web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: