Here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending November 3, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
5. Hot And Spicy (Axel Dieter Jr. & Da Mack)-The former wXw World Tag Team Champions find their way into the Top 5 again after a solid weekend at wXw. First, they teamed with Axel Tischer to defeat Keel Holding & Jurn Simmons on 11/1 and then they beat Die Schilds on 11/2 to go 2-0 on the weekend. After 2 losses to French Flavour (one by DQ) they are now back on the right track. Can they build on this ranking and possibly win back the wXw World Tag Team Titles in the next few weeks or months? Should be interesting to find out.
4. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan @JoeyRyanOnline & Candice LeRae @CandiceLeRae)-Pretty odd to see the former 2 time #1’s with this low of a ranking, but this week was flooded with stiff competition all over the world. The PWG World Tag Team Champions did pick up yet another big win though as they teamed up at DREAMWAVE to defeat The Osirian Portal to 4 straight. What most likely worked against them was their couple of weeks off since the last time they teamed (PWG 10/17). With some other big shows coming before the end of the year, they’re looking to get their 3rd #1 ranking and continue to move up in the Tag Team Top 50.
3. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-The ROH World Tag Team Champions missed out on their 6th #1 ranking this week because their win vs. The Bucks in the Finals of the NJPW Junior Tag Team Tournament was not included in this week’s rankings (it will be next week, however). Regardless, they still grab a very high ranking this week, despite their one loss in an 8 Man Tag Team Match. They’ve been so good the last 2 years, but it’s still somewhat surprising to see how successful they’ve been at New Japan, where many foreigners who aren’t New Japan regulars, generally struggle. The question now is whether they can topple Time Splitters for the IWGP Junior Tag Team Titles and score yet another #1 ranking. This may be their toughest challenge so far in 2014 as they actually lost to Time Splitters several months ago. Will this be the revenge match for reDRagon? #5 in the online poll.
2. Sumerian Death Squad (Tommy End @tommyend & Michael Dante @WrestlingDante)-The SWE Tag Team Champions picked up two more wins after being ranked #3 last week. If it wasn’t for the INSANE success by the Young Bucks last week, it’s likely they would have been #1 this week. First, they defeated Paul Robinson & RJ Singh at XWA Please Don’t Die on 1/11 and then they teamed with Mikey Whiplash to defeat New Age Kliq on 11/2. That marked their 4th straight win as a team and their 2nd straight week being ranked. If they can take advantage of this momentum and pick up a couple of wins going forward with no losses, they’ve got a great shot at a #1 ranking before the end of the year.
1. Young Bucks (Nick Jackson @NickJacksonYB & Matt Jackson @MattJackson13)-If you weren’t paying attention to our Facebook when the poll went up, you may be slightly confused by how the Young Bucks are ranked higher than reDRagon this week after losing to them in the Finals of the NJPW Junior Tag Team Tournament. Simple. The Finals of the Tournament took place on 11/3 which was after the qualifying deadline for this week’s rankings. The 11/3 Finals count towards next week’s rankings. That being said, from 10/27-11/3, no team was more dominant than a team who, surprisingly, do not hold any major titles at the moment. Before their loss on 11/3 they had won 5 straight matches as a team. This is their very first #1 ranking this year and while they did lose on 11/3, they’re still looking to build on this ranking with future New Japan shows ahead. They swept the official voters with #1 votes across the board this week.
1st Honorable Mentions. 1st Zero Gravity (Brett Gakiya @IKeepItBG & CJ Esparza @CJ_Esparza)-This Chicago-area tag team get snubbed once again this week, but came very close to getting in. It was pretty damn hard to get in this week considering the level of competition throughout the voting. This time they come just short based on the strength of their big victory at DREAMWAVE in a Four Way vs. ACDC, Seduce and Destroy, and Helter Skelter. They’ve been doing some big things at AAW and DREAMWAVE and we look forward to seeing if they can improve on this ranking in the next few weeks/months.
2nd Honorable Mentions. Nick Richards & Jason Miller- The CWF Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champions JUST miss out this week after winning a 6 Team Gauntlet to retain the titles on 11/1, last eliminating The Brutes (who have been ranked before, by the way). Tied for #3 in the online poll.
People’s Champs. Team IOU (Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @IggyNJ210)-One of the most dominant tag teams of the first half of 2014 have been all but missing from the Tag Team Top 5 for the last couple of months (aside from a People’s Champs award in early September). This week they get themselves their TENTH (a record) People’s Champs by winning the online voting competition by just THREE votes over Bull Dredd & Ron Zombie as they received 107 votes. Their win this week was vs. The Washington Bullets at CCW on 11/1.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Soldiers of Fortune 2.0
Amazing Red & Crimson
Bull Dredd & Ron Zombie-#2 in the online poll with 104 votes
Cash Money Mafia-Tied for #3 in the online poll
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: