Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending December 7, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of December 1st, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish)-The ROH World Tag Team Champions and IWGP Junior Tag Team Champions have now tied the record for most #1 rankings in 2014. They are now tied with Juicy Product (David Starr & JT Dunn) with EIGHT #1 rankings this year. Pretty insane after their slow start this year, but they’ve been absolutely unstoppable the last few months. It was close this week, but at the end of the day, they had enough love from the official voters to tie the record after winning a 4 Way at PCW on 11/28 vs. The Briscoe Brothers, The Decade, & Team Single, then defeating the Briscoes on 11/29, and finally beating Team Single on 11/30 to go 3-0 for the weekend. Yet again, their stock continues to rise in the Tag Team Top 50 (find out where they end up on 12/30 on the LIVE Reveal show).
2. Team TREMENDOUS (Dan Barry & Bill Carr)-The winners of the Tournament For Tomorrow on 11/30 JUST missed out on the #1 spot this week. Many would argue the #1 spot should have rightfully been theirs, but perhaps the strength of the titles reDRagon hold kept them out. That being said, they scored some huge wins over Gentlemen’s Club, Juicy Product, and The Young Bucks over the weekend at Beyond Wrestling. With a great 2014 mostly behind them, their next goal should be some gold! Perhaps, that’s the last obstacle separating this great team and a #1 ranking. Will this ranking help them find their way into the Tag Team Top 50? Tune in on 12/30 and find out!
3. Biff Busick & Drew Gulak-With both members of this somewhat new tag team being former #1’s in the Indy Power Rankings, this ranking was no doubt influenced by some of their singles success. That being said, they most certainly earned their ranking this week where on any other week, they could have easily been #1. It was a VERY HARD week to determine who should make the cut, but 3 teams were pretty much across the board for most voters and this team was one of those teams after beating Brutal Burgers, Devastation Corporation, and then Ninjas with Altitude, Garden State Gods, & Milk Chocolate in a Four Way Match to win the other Tournament for Tomorrow (3:16). Next up…maybe a match vs. Team TREMENDOUS? We shall see.
4. Bravado Brothers (Lancelot & Harlem Bravado)-What a weekend for the brothers from North Carolina! Like the Top 3 before them, they had the type of weekend that could have gotten them a #1 on most other weekends. They defeated LAX (Homicide & Hernandez) on 11/29 at WrestleCade then defeated The World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae) on 11/30 at PWX to sweep the weekend with 2 big wins. If the three teams ahead of them didn’t have as many wins as they did (all had one more than them), it’s possible they could have been even higher this week just based on their strength of competition alone. Regardless, the Bravado bandwagon rolls on as 2014 has been a phenomenal year for them.
5. BULLET CLUB (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)-After being ranked #2 last week, the former #1’s and IWGP Tag Team Champions dropped a bit after a loss to TenKoji on 11/24, but then picked up 4 straight wins to improve to 4-1 on the weekend. Pretty impressive week for tag team wrestling when the IWGP Tag Team Champions go 4-1 and barely crack the Top 5. These dominant champions have now won 15 of their last 16 matches. At press time, they had just lost a match to fellow BULLET CLUB members, AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi. Will they be back in the Top 5 next week? They’ll need to rebound from this loss to make it happen.
People’s Champs. Team IOU (Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @IggyNJ210)-ELEVEN times they have won the online voting competition after barely edging out pseudo-Country Jacked in Trevor Lee & Adam Page. A boy and his dog have had a tremendous 2014. They’ll join us on the Tag Team Top 50 Reveal on 12/30! Where did they end the year? Tune in and find out! You can purchase their t-shirts here: http://prowrestlingtees.com/teamiou
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Trevor Lee & Adam Page-#2 in the online poll with 33 votes
The Brutes-#4 in the online poll
AJ & Takahashi
Garden State Gods
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: