Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending December 8, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of December 8th, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish)-This week was the record-breaker! After 8 number 1 rankings, reDRagon went into Final Battle weekend tied with Juicy Product for most #1 rankings in 2014. After another victory vs. The Time Splitters (also a former #1) we’ve got the ROH and IWGP Junior Tag Team Champions at #1 for a record 9th time. After winning 13 straight matches, including one of their biggest on PPV in front of the entire world, it was really hard for the voters to keep them out of first place this week, despite some other teams with impressive wins as well. To say the competition was fierce to even get into the Tag Team Top 5 this week is an understatement, but not only did the double champions get in, they were #1 once again. Not much you can say about this team anymore. They have dominated 2014…especially the 2nd half. Where did they end up in the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014? Tune in on 12/30 for the Tag Team Top 50 Reveal to find out!
2. London Riots (Rob Lynch & James Davis)-The NGW Tag Champs and IPW:UK Tag Champs defeated The Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) on 12/5 to retain the NGW titles, then beat The Wolves again on 12/7 to retain the IPW:UK titles and go 2-0 for the week. There was actually some debate as to whether the strength of those two victories could get them a #1 spot this week, but in the end, they finish at #2, which is not bad at all considering the competition this week. They have won 5 straight matches at this point. It’s been a heck of a 2014 for this UK-based tag team as they are former #1’s and former People’s Champs. With just a few more weeks to go, can they build on their current placement in the Tag Team Top 50? We shall see.
3. Helter Skelter (Alex Castle & Markus Crane)-Very few teams had a week that even compared to the former DREAMWAVE Tag Team Champions. They defeated The Juicy Product (former 8 time #1’s David Starr & JT Dunn) at Dreamwave on 12/6, then defeated World’s Cutest Tag Team (former 2 time #1’s Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae) the same night to go 2-0 for the week. They have had a fantastic 2014 at DREAMWAVE and as they have advanced in their tag team tournament, it’s likely that trend could continue into 2015. Did they do enough at DREAMWAVE to find their way into the Tag Team Top 50? You’ll have to tune into Filling the Void Radio Network on 12/30 to find out!
4. Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith, Jr. & Lance Archer)-There’s a strong debate as to whether or not the Killer Elite Squad were ranked too high after the former #1’s had an impressive, yet not flawless week at New Japan. Considering the competition they were dealing with both overseas and in the voting, it’s really hard to say where they should be slotted and the voters were all over the place with their opinions. The NWA World Tag Team Champions defeated BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale) on 12/2, then teamed with El Desperado & Taichi to defeat BUSHI, Jushin Thunder Liger, La Sombra & Tetsuya Naito on 12/3, then lost to Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba on 12/5, then wrapped up the weekend by beating Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata on 12/7 to go 3-1 for week. What do you think? Were they too high or too low this week? You can always send us your thoughts on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin or on Facebook at Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings
5. The Devastation Corporation (@DevastationCorp Blaster McMassive & Max Smashmaster)-While they are former #1’s as a 3 man team, this impressive team has yet to reach the #1 spot as a man team. That may change now that they are the NEW Chikara Campeonatos de Parejas champions after they defeated The Throwbacks (former 2 Time #1’s Dasher Hatfield & Mark Angelosetti) in a two out of three falls match over the weekend. They, like so many others, were kept out of a higher spot due to circumstances this week as, again, if you look at the competition top to bottom, it was one of the most loaded weeks for tag teams we’ve had. Hopefully tag team wrestling continues to shine heading into 2015. Will the Devastation Corporation (2 or 3 man team) get ranked in the Tag Team Top 50? You know what to do to find out, but hey, just a reminder, tune in on 12/30 at 3 PM and find out for yourself!
People’s Champs. Team IOU (@TeamIOU Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @IggyNJ210)-Well, we have a record at #1 and we have yet another new record in the People’s Champs award. TWELVE times now Kerry Awful & Nick Iggy (collectively known as Team IOU) have won the online voting competition. They literally JUST missed out on the #5 spot this week. They will join us for the Tag Team Top 50 Reveal on 12/30 to discuss their 2014! Tune in!
Just missing out/others receiving votes:
Starr & Gamble
Punk Rock Pow Wow
Styles & Takahashi
Anderson & Gallows
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: