Here we go with the Top 10 independent stars of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog; where we rank the best professional wrestlers from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 10 most popular wrestlers in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending December 15, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of December 15th, 2014
1. Drew Galloway (@TheDrewMcIntyre)-After being ranked #4 last week, the EVOLVE Champion (and ICW Champion) defeated Big Damo O’Connor on 12/12 at RNW to retain the EVOLVE title, then defeated Davey Boy Smith Jr at FPW on 12/13 to retain the EVOLVE title again. With 6 straight wins, it was a serious debate among the official voters as to whether to go with Roderick Strong with arguably the biggest win of the weekend at #1 or to go with Drew Galloway who has had a better recent body of work. Galloway eventually won by a narrow margin, awarding him his first #1 ranking. As stated last week, he is absolutely KILLING IT on the indies right now. What’s next for Galloway?
2. Roderick Strong (@RoderickStrong)-The biggest moment of the weekend may have come when Roderick Strong made an impromptu challenge to Kyle O’Reilly to a Guerrilla Warfare Match for the PWG World Title…and came out on top! After years of toiling away in PWG with multiple tag team title wins, Roderick Strong finally stands atop the mountain there. Add to that, this is (surprisingly) his first ranking in the IPR Top 10 this year. Will this be enough to get him into the 2014 IPR 100? Tune in starting 12/29 at 9 PM EST to find out! Links are in our signature below.
3. Kongo Kong (@RealKongoKong)-“The Monsta” that a few of the voters call “The Baddest Man on the Planet” stepped up his game yet again this week to get his second straight #3 ranking. The IWA Mid-South World Champion defeated John Wayne Murdoch and Shane Mercer in a triple threat on 12/11 to retain the title and then won a 3 way vs. Alexander S. Kirk and Anthony Toatele at Strong Style Wrestling on 12/14. The big man has won 11 of his last 14 matches with his only losses coming in tags. Again, Kong is looking at very high placement in the IPR 100. Tune in on 12/31 for the IPR 100 and to hear the man behind the war paint…speak! Next up: John Wayne Murdoch’s last chance at the title on 12/18 at The Revolution: Strong Style Tournament.
4. BLK Jeez (@Jeez215)-The NEW CZW World Champion enters the Top 10 this week after a HUGE victory vs. Sozio, Biff Busick, and Drew Gulak in a disgustingly violent blood bath at COD XVI. It was a war, but at the end of the day, he walked away with his first CZW World Title and again, his first ranking in the top 10.It’s been a long time coming for someone who has had a solid career, but perhaps not breakout success. Will this tremendous win be the thing that catapults him into stardom? Stay tuned!
5. Brian Cage (@MrGMSI_BCage)-The FSP Champion has yet to crack the Top 10 this year after having a fantastic 2013. Take nothing away from his 2014, but it just hasn’t been as glaringly obvious as his success in 2013. This week, he beat 3 of the best on the indies at PWG in a 4 Way when he topped Uhaa Nation, Tommaso Ciampa, and Biff Busick on 12/12. Will this ranking on the second to last (eligible) week of 2014 be enough to slip him into the IPR 100? Tune in on 12/29, 12/30, and 12/31 to find out!
6. Michael Hayes (@MichaelBSHayes)-Talk about a long time coming. Michael Hayes has been having a FANTASTIC year at OVW, but it hasn’t really translated into rankings for a variety of reasons. He’s had multiple close calls, but had yet to reach the Top 10 this year…until this week. The OVW TV Champion defeated Raul LaMotta on 12/10 to retain the title, then defeated Adam Wylde on 12/13 to retain the title again, then beat Adam Revolver by DQ in a OVW Championship match (but didn’t win the title) to go 3-0 for the week. With 9 straight wins, it was impossible for the voters to deny him a spot in the Top 10 this week. Congrats to an American hero!
7. Chanel-Let the debate begin as to whether or not she should have been ranked much higher this week. She is the NEW Bellatrix British Champion after she defeated Aurora Flame in the quarterfinals of the tournament for the vacant title, then beat Violet O’Hara in the semis and Lady Lory in the finals. All of this took place on 12/13. Regardless as to whether she should have been higher, it’s still a solid ranking for a 21 year-old talent from the UK. It is, like many others in the Top 10 this week, her first ranking in the Indy Power Rankings. Let’s see if she can build on this going forward.
8. Dru Skillz (@DruSkillz)-The two time People’s Champ finds his way into the Top 10 for the 3rd straight week after The Heroes and Legends Champion/ Smashmouth Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Champion made short work of Jacob Johns at WCWO on 12/13. With 6 straight wins, he has been on a roll to close out 2014. The question now is…will it be enough for him to land a spot in the 2014 IPR 100? You got it…tune in on 12/29, 12/30, and 12/31 to find out! #5 in the online poll.
9. Mikey McFinnegan (@McfinneganBMOC)-Chalk up another first-timer to the IPR Top 10 as Mikey McFinnegan makes a very well-deserved first time entry into the Indy Power Rankings. Granted, he has won a couple of “People’s Champs” titles on the tag team side of things, but in singles, this is his first true chance to shine a bit. He is the NEW CPW Heavyweight Champion after he defeated Dalton Diamond, then Bull Bronson, and finally Zakk Sawyers (the now former champ) in the main event of the evening in the 7 Deadly Sins Death Match Tournament on 12/12 to win the title. We hope to see more of him in the future, going forward! #4 in the online poll with 22 votes.
10. Matt Cage (@proudcaucasian)-Technically, “Money” Matt Cage was tied with Grado for the #10 spot, but by virtue of the tiebreaker (the fan vote) the DREAMWAVE Champion managed to slide into the Top 10 once again this week. The former #1 in the Indy Power Rankings became a Double Champion when he defeated Blake Steel for the ZERO 1 USA Supreme World Title on 12/11. He has had one hell of a 2014 and it will all culminate on 12/31 when he joins us for Night 3 of the IPR 100 Reveal. Tune in!
1st Honorable Mention. Grado-Robbed? The PWE World Champion went 3-0 on the weekend and came JUST short of making the Top 10 this week. There’s always next week for this international star.
2nd Honorable Mention. Jonathan Gresham-His win vs. Alex Colon, Mike Bailey, AR Fox, David Starr, & Caleb Konley in a Six-Man Match at CZW on 12/13 was DAMN impressive, but he just missed out this week.
People’s Champ. Eric Chapel-What an absolute BATTLE in the online voting competition it was between Marc Hauss and Eric Chapel. It was a back and forth fight to the finish, but in the end, with 227 votes, the 1CW Coastal States Champion won out. Congrats to him!
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Marc Hauss-#2 in the online poll with 181 votes
Ron Mathis-#8 in the online poll
Aaron Epic-#3 in the online poll with 29 votes
Kamil Aleksander-Tied for #4 in the online poll with 22 votes
Sonny Deeds-#6 in the online poll
El Patron Alberto
Jeremy Leary-#7 in the online poll
And there you have it, the 10 of the most popular independent wrestling stars of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: