Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending December 15, 2014. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of December 15th, 2014
1. #MOTN Lions (Marc Hauss & Nick Ando)-If you weren’t paying attention, this would feel like it was completely out of left field. Look at what this team did over the weekend and you’ll see they had perhaps the most solid weekend, top to bottom, of any team in the Tag Team Top 5 this week. The UPW Tag Team Champions beat EZ Riders, Life of the Party, and Rik Matrix/Spazz to go 3-0 on the weekend. While it was anything but a clean sweep of the official voters this week, they did just enough secure their first-ever ranking as a team and their first-ever #1 ranking. They just BARELY edged out OI4K for the top spot this week. Congrats to Hauss & Ando!
2. OI4K (Dave & Jake Crist)-The former #1’s came up just short this week of the #1 spot, but #2 is definitely nothing to be ashamed of. The CZW (and PDW) World Tag Team Champions scored perhaps the biggest single win of the weekend when they defeated The (American) Wolves on 12/13 at COD. It was just further proof that they truly are one of the best tag teams in the world. Where will they end up in the Tag Team Top 50? Be sure to tune in on 12/30 to find out for yourself!
3. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae)-The PWG World Tag Team Champions (and FSP Tag Champs) defeated The Addiction (Frankie Kazarian & Christopher Daniels) to retain the titles and like OI4K, picked up one of the bigger single wins of the weekend. While The Addiction haven’t been overly successfully in terms of title wins since their return to the indies, a win over them, along with holding the PWG World Tag Team Titles will usually help a team get noticed. The former 2 time #1’s definitely benefited from the prestige of their titles this week, but there’s no doubt they’ve been killing it in 2014 together. Where will they be ranked in the Tag Team Top 50? Well…tune in on 12/30 to find out!
4. People’s Champs. McKenzie Brothers (Bodhi & Byron McKenzie)-This young Australian tag team defeated “Outlaw” Billy Williams & “The Don” Michael Morleone on 12/13 at EPW in the morning session, then beat Eddy Bombay & Elliot Forbes in the afternoon and then teamed with Hayden Zenith in the evening to beat The Wild Wild Westerners (Bang Bang Jay, “Outlaw” Billy Williams and Donny the Kid) to go 3-0 for the week. On top of that, they secured 51 votes to win the online voting competition this week to make sure they solidified their spot in the Tag Team Top 5. We look forward to see what they do heading into 2015 with more and more international teams starting to get noticed in the rankings.
5. Fabulous Freebodies (Bodyguy & Big Jon)-They are the NEW OVW Southern Tag Team Champions after they defeated Robbie Walker and Adam Wyld on 12/10, then defeated TerreMex (Randy Terrez and Roberto De Luna) on 12/13 to win the titles to go 2-0 for the week. This is the first ranking for this OVW tag team and the first in quite some time for any OVW team. On a week where the competition was solid, but not overwhelming, this was a good chance to build the foundation for future rankings. Now they have the opportunity (with one week of eligibility to go) to try to find their way into the Tag Team Top 50.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Sydal & Sabin
Gulak & Busick
The Prestige-#2 in the online poll with 40 votes
Sons of Sin
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: