The Indy Power Rankings Tag Team Top 5 For December 29, 2014 & January 5, 2015
Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending December 29, 2014 and January 5, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of December 29th, 2014
1. reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly)-After NINE #1 rankings in 2014 (a record) we really didn’t think we’d be seeing much of reDRagon in the Tag Team Top 5 in 2015 due to their restrictions with ROH and our decision to no longer include ROH/NJPW as independent wrestling companies. The talent, of course, are still eligible for the rankings based on what they do outside those companies. At least for this week, reDRagon immediately proved our theory wrong as they grabbed the first #1 ranking of 2015 to continue to build on one of the most successful runs in independent tag team wrestling history. They won the vacant HRW Tag Team Titles in an indy dream match vs. The Colony on 12/28, which means they now hold the ROH World Tag Team, IWGP Junior Tag Team, and NRW Tag Team Titles.
2. MAD BLANKEY (YAMATO & Cyber Kong)-Our decision to include ALL independent wrestling talent around the world (not including any work at ROH, NJPW, TNA, WWE, or Lucha Underground) has already paid dividends for Dragon Gate talent in both the Top 10 and Tag Team Top 5. Perfect timing for the NEW Dragon Gate Open the Twin Gate Champions as they defeated The Millenials (T-Hawk & Eita) at Dragon Gate on 12/28 to win the titles. This tag team combination has only won 3 of their last 4 matches, but this title win was HUGE in the eyes of the official voters as it was in a company that is specifically geared towards their tag team wrestling. Will 2015 be the year of Dragon Gate in the Tag Team Top 5? We shall see.
3. Jagger & NiteStic Eddie Brown-Now this is a team that kind of came out of nowhere to reach the Tag Team Top 5. They are the NEW PWF Tag Team Champions as they won the Premier Tag League tournament by beating Katie Taylor & Victor Andrews in the first round, Colby Corino & Emmanuel Bodega in the semifinals and Steve Corino & Jakob Hammermeier in the finals. This all took place on 12/26 as they won the tournament, won the titles, and went 3-0 for the week. There’s no doubt that title wins and tournament wins have been and will always be a big part of the Indy Power Rankings. This week was obviously no different as we get fresh faces in the Tag Team Top 5 in the first week of eligibility for 2015.
4. Dangan Yankees (Masato Tanaka & Takashi Sugiura)-The Indy Power Rankings, now more than ever, are about wrestling freedom. Very few teams have exemplified that by working in several places like this Japanese tag team who are the current NWA Intercontinental Tag Team Champions and GHC Tag Team Champions. They defeated Hideki Suzuki & Kohei Sato in the semifinals of the Furinkazan Tag Tournament at Zero1 on 12/24, then defeated Shinjiro Otani & Yoshikazu Yokoyama in the final the same night to win the tournament and retain their NWA Intercontinental Tag Team titles to go 2-0 for the week. They have won their last 6 matches as a two-man team, which undoubtedly played a part in the official voters’ decisions to include them high on their ballots this week. More new blood for the Tag Team Top 5 in 2015.
5. The Psycho Circus (Monster Clown & Murder Clown)-To further hammer home the point that the Indy Power Rankings have truly become international, we get our first Mexican tag team ranked this week as this team defeated Demon Rocker & Soul Rocker at Promociones Rosales on 12/26; then teamed with Psycho Clown on 12/28 at AAA to beat Líder, Hijo del Fantasma and Texano Jr to go 2-0 for the week. They have won 12 straight matches (mainly as 3 man team). With Mexico being the home of so many 6 man and 8 man tags, it will be interesting to see how many teams the home of Lucha Libre produces in the Tag Team Top 5 for 2015.
People’s Champs. The Hell Cats (Jimmy Starz & Sexy Steve @The_Hell_Cats)-The NEW MCW Tag Team Champions secured the first People’s Champs award of 2015 when they racked up a solid 41 votes to DOMINATE the online voting competition after defeating Napalm Bomb and Solo for the titles on 12/27. With 5 straight wins as a team, 2015 could definitely be their defining year.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Narumiya & Sera
Fuego & Cometa
Jollyville Fuck Its
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 5th, 2015
1. Yankee Two Kenju (Yuko Miyamoto & Isami Kodaka)-WOW is all you can say about the week for Yuko Miyamoto. Much like Michael Elgin did at the start of 2014, he has swept the Top 10 and Tag Team Top 5 at #1 in both rankings. This tag team defeated KUDO & Yukio Sakaguchi [both DDT] in the first round of the Three Promotion Strongest Tag Decision Tournament, then defeated Makoto Oishi [DDT] & Shiori Asahi [K-DOJO] in the 2nd round, then defeated Ryuji Ito & Jaki Numazawa [both BJW] in the semis, then defeated Yuji Hino (K-Dojo) & Yuji Okabayashi (BJW) in the final. This all took place on 12/31 as they won the tournament. They then teamed with Ikuto Hidaka and Fujita Hayato at Zero1 on 01/01 to beat KAMIKAZE, Daemon Ueda, Kengo and Voodoo Mask 15, then defeated Heisei Yakuza Duo (Kankuro Hoshino and Masato Inaba) at BJW on 01/04 to go a STAGGERING 6-0 for the week. It’s hard to believe this week could possibly topped for the rest of 2015. Ridiculous success story.
2. Wild Burning (Jun Akiyama and Takao Omori)-The AJPW World Tag Team Champions continued their winning ways as they defeated Dark Kingdom (KENSO and Mitsuya Nagai) on 01/02 to retain the titles. With 3 straight victories, they BARELY snuck into the #2 spot this week. There’s no doubt that the prestige of their titles along with the title defense helped their ranking. All Japan certainly had a big impact in the Tag Team Top 5 as the Land of the Rising Sun has already produced a lot of rankings in both singles and tags in 2015. This year is going to be interesting, to say the least.
3. Dark Kingdom (Mitsuya Nagai and Takeshi Minamino)-They are the NEW All Asia Tag Team Champions after they defeated Xceed (Kento Miyahara and Kotaro Suzuki) on 01/03 at AJPW to win the titles. They were JUST pushed out of the #2 spot this week by Wild Burning. With their big title win over the weekend, they attained their first ranking as a team. Consider this, in early 2014 teams from OVW and AAW dominated the early portion of the year in the Tag Team Top 5. This year, it’s all about the teams in various Japanese promotions. As stated above, 2015 will be fun to watch to see what country can really prove to be the best in the world when it comes to independent wrestling and in this case, tag team wrestling on the indies.
4. The LDRs (Zack Sabre Jr & Marty Scurll)-Big victory for them as they beat one of the Top 10 tag teams in the Tag Team Top 50 (and a former #1 in 2014) as they defeated The London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) at IPW:UK on 01/03 to earn a future title shot. This win had a big effect on the voters as they were the only UK team ranked this week. It is their first ranking and if they can cash in on their tag team title shot and WIN the gold, there’s no doubt you’ll be seeing them in the Tag Team Top 5 once again. As it stands, they’re off to a good start in 2015.
5. The Threat (“The King of Status” Breyer Wellington and Nate Mattison)-Pro Wrestling All Stars out of Detroit gets notice again as they get their 3rd tag team into the Tag Team Top 5 since 2014. The NEW PWAS Tag Team Champions get in this week after they defeated Chuck Stein and Steve Rivera (deputizing for Joseph Schwarz) on 01/02 to win the titles.
People’s Champs. The 3rd Dimension of Wrestling (Aaron Anders and Justin Riker)-After collecting 55 votes in the online voting competition, this week’s poll wasn’t even close. The NEW SRPW Tag Team DOMINATED the voting after they defeated The Bash Brothers (Ethan Cole & Trey Cole) on 01/03 to win the titles. This team based out of Oklahoma made a big impact in their first-ever entry into the online voting.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Janela & Lawless
Havoc & Hurtz
Los Tortugas Ninjas
Steel & Jay
Nira, Takanashi, & Akai
Hino & Okabayashi
B Faultless Junkys
Tsukushi & Kizuki
Diamond & Wylde
BJ Blade & Cruz
Funhouse & Tilt-a_Whirl
Ashworth & Wilson
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: