Ladies and gentlemen, here it’s the official results of the 2014 IPR Official Voter Award for Tag Team of the year. While the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 is a collection of 50 independent tag teams based on their previous rankings throughout the year of 2014, the “Official Voter Awards” are 100% a ballot among the official voters of the Indy Power Rankings who gave a final year-end ballot where they each gave their Top 5 for the year. Their ballots are 100% based on the same criteria we used for the Tag Team Top 5 this year, namely the 3 major criteria that we use to rank tag team on a weekly basis:
1. Win-loss record for the week & overall
2. Strength of opponents for the week
3. Overall public perception of the wrestler in question (i.e. Chris Hero has a stronger following than a regional independent wrestler who most people have never heard of)
These awards are not meant to undermine the Tag Team Top 50 in any way, but many of the voters felt that some of the rankings at the end of the year were a bit inflated (or deflated as the case may be) and this was their chance to give their opinion on the year, in general.
But for now, here is the winner and the runners-up:
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish)-Unlike the IPR 100 for 2014, this #1 differed from what the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 produced. The Hooligans were #1 for the year because of their consistency and the amount of times and places they teamed all year, but it was clearly the QUALITY of the wins that reDRagon produced (ROH World Tag Team Title wins, defenses, pay per view matches, and the huge tournament AND title wins at New Japan) in 2014 swayed the voters when it came to their year-end ballots. This doesn’t take away from The Hooligans’ fantastic 2014, but it doesn’t add credibility to the fact that reDRagon had by most accounts, the most dominant year of any tag team when it came right down to it. That being said, we’d all like to see reDRagon vs. The Hooligans at some point in 2015. Someone book it, please?!
2. Juicy Product (JT Dunn & David Starr)
3. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter)
4. Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
5. OI4K (Jake & Dave Crist)
Others receiving votes:
And there you have it, the 2014 Tag Team of the Year as voted by top wrestling journalists in the world. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: