Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending January 12, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 12th, 2015
1. Burning Wild/Wild Burning (Jun Akiyama and Takao Omori)-The AJPW World Tag Team Champions were ranked #2 last week and built on that ranking with 3 more wins this week to EASILY grab the #1 ranking this week. They defeated Akebono and SUSHI at AJPW on 1/7, then defeated SUSHI & Antonio Honda on 1/10, and then finally defeated Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zeus on 1/11 to go 3-0 for the week. Since the beginning of the Tag Team Top 5 in January of 2014, very few tag teams have been as dominant over a 2 week span as Burning Wild (or Wild Burning if you prefer) have been over the last 2 weeks. If the Tag Team Top 50 were to hit today, they’d have an easy #1 ranking for the year, but of course, it’s a marathon not a sprint, so let’s see what happens.
2. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-Well, here’s a familiar name from last year. The #1’s in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 made their 2015 debut with a vengeance this past week as they defeated The Elements of Wrestling in a Best 2 out of 3 Falls Match at IWA Mid-South on 1/8/15 and then followed that up with a victory vs. Mac Dog McDowell & Barackus at PWCS on 1/10 to go 2-0 for the week…and thus far, undefeated for the year. The year is young, but is it possible that we could see The Hooligans atop the Tag Team Top 50 mountain for 2015 as well? They’ve got some work to put in for the next 11-12 months.
3. North Star Express (Darin Corbin & Ryan Cruz)-A big win over Zero Gravity (who went on to beat Team IOU at PGP the next night) at F1rst Wrestling on 1/9 and a win vs. Daivari & Knyte at MEW on 1/10 helped this Midwest tag team achieve their first ranking in the Tag Team Top 5 as they were flawless with a 2-0 week as a team. While Corbin may be focused on his partnership with Arik Cannon, he also found time to do well with Ryan Cruz. Big week for both men as they get off to a hot start in 2015 with the hopes of continuing that trend with perhaps some gold around their waste in the upcoming months.
4. TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste)-It was quality over quantity for the NEW GHC Tag Team Champions as they once again took over NOAH over the weekend by defeated Dangan Yankees (Masato Tanaka and Takashi Sugiura) for the titles on 1/10. With 5 straight victories as a team, this tag team are just now showing the world what they can do in 2015. While they didn’t qualify for the Tag Team Top 5 in 2014 due to the restrictions we had on the eligibility, they are in the first month of 2015 with one of the biggest wins of anyone in this week’s rankings. These titles are big and their 5 straight wins a team are impressive, but it’s the potential of what they COULD do moving forward that is really something that should be interesting to watch for the rest of 2015.
5. MSL Universe (Marvin Stone & Michael Tarver)-What an impressive weekend for this tag team at FIP as they defeated the former People’s Champs (in 2014 at one point) in Generation Genesis on 1/9, then teamed to defeat Aaron Epic, Aaron Solo, Earl Cooter, Jack Jamison, Jason Cade, Jody Kristofferson, Johnny Vandal, Mega Mo and Rhett Giddins in an 11 Man Flash Fray Match on 1/10 to go 2-0 for the week. This may not be a team that was on most people’s radar entering 2015, but they have quickly established themselves in the state of Florida, and perhaps to the rest of the independent wrestling world.
People’s Champs. #MOTN Lions (Marc Hauss @TheMarcHauss & Nick Ando @IceBoxAndo)-Talk about a come from behind victory! The former #1’s and #42 in the 2014 IPR Tag Team Top 50 as well as the UPW Tag Team Champions defeated RWC (Hellcat & Rob Street) to retain the titles on 1/10. Most of the day in the voting was controlled by the Soul Shooters until the #MOTN Lions surged ahead and finished with a 68 vote margin of victory. 128 votes collected for them.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Los Tortiguas Ninja
Inked & Awesome
Soul Shooters-#2 in the online poll with 60 votes
The Funraisers-#3 in the online poll with 22 votes
Bob Rogers & Jay Oleander-#4 in the online poll
Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett-#5 in the online poll
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: