Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending January 19, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 19th, 2015
1. Elements of Wrestling (Kaden Sade & Matt Madison @EOW2719)-This is one of the bigger shockers in the 2+ year history of the Indy Power Rankings and the 1+ year history of the Tag Team Top 5. This upstart young team won a fatal four-way against The Hooligans (#1 in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50), Team IOU (#4 in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50) and The Viking War Party (#23 in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50) at IWA Mid South on 1/15…showing that they will be a force to be reckoned with in 2015. They’ve still got some unfinished business with the Hooligans, so stay tuned to see how this rivalry develops and whether or not EOW can find their way into the Tag Team Top 5 once again. #3 in the online poll with 24 votes. You can check out an appearance on the Indy Power Rankings Reveal from both members of the Elements of Wrestling from November of 2014 (before we had any clue they’d get a #1 ranking in 2015) here:
2. Dia.Hearts (BxB Hulk & Dragon Kid)-This has been a very consistent stable at Dragon Gate in 2015. You’ve probably seen their names pop up more than once in the Tag Team Top 5 and quite frankly, they just continue to roll along, picking up wins. They teamed with Masaaki Mochizuki at Dragon Gate on 1/16 to beat Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi and Shachihoko BOY and then beat Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! and Ryo “Jimmy” Saito on 1/17 to go 2-0 for the week. They are undefeated in at least their last 5 matches, proving how important consistency is to getting ranked in both the IPR and the Tag Team Top 5.
3. The Riot Squad (Matt “Grimm” Basso and Nick Armstrong)-This team came out of seemingly nowhere and won the Kings of the Castle tournament in Australia’s Newcastle Pro after defeating The Alphas in the semifinals and then defeating Concrete Davidson and Robbie Eagles on 1/17 to go 2-0 for the week. It’s been really amazing to see how much of an impact all of the international talent have made on the rankings in 2015…and particularly in Australia. They ALWAYS make an impact on the tag team poll and this week was no different as it was The Riot Squad who really impressed both the fans and official voters. They were tied for 5th in the online poll.
4. Soul Shooters (Dru Skillz & Appollo Starr)-Top contenders for the People’s Champs award on most weeks they’re on the poll, didn’t quite get rolling this week as they got most of their support from the official voters instead of the fans. The NEW & self-proclaimed Strong Style Wrestling Tag Team Champions defeated Kenneth James & Vinny Balzano to retain the NEW Tag Team Titles on 1/17 to continue their 2015 win streak. After being ranked #34 in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50, this tag team is looking to build on that success this year. With some of the competition stepping up to the plate, it will certainly be no easy task.
5. Rekognito (Argon & Daniel Sebastian)-Again, we get a little international flavor as the NEW NWF Tag Team Champions make their first appearance in the rankings. They defeated GromKnoke (Grom Gravalid & Knoke) in the semifinals and then defeated Erik Isaksen & Hannibal and Victor-Dale in a three-way elimination match in the finals in Norway on 1/17 to win the vacant NWF titles and go 2-0 for the week. So the U.S., Japan, Australia, and Norway all have representatives in the Tag Team Top 5 this week, proving yet again that the Indy Power Rankings (and the Tag Team Top 5) are truly an international affair.
People’s Champs. Bars & Stripes (Rhia O’Reilly @rdpixie & Addy Starr @AddyStarr)-This tag team made the online voting competition a beat down as they crushed all the teams on the poll, winning the competition EASILY after a win vs. She-X at Empress Pro on 1/17. With 129 votes, they pretty much won wire to wire as we get an all-female tag team as People’s Champs this week. If they can perhaps add a little gold to their collection together, you can definitely be on the lookout for them to make appearances in the Top 5 in the future.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Dick Blood & Billy Blaze
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpio & Inkredible
Los Ben Dejos
Crusade for Change
Tabarnak De Team
Los Tortugas Ninjas
Cat Power & Jaida
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: