Ladies and gentlemen, here are the top 5 independent tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog, the best tag teams from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. We’ll count down the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending January 26, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of January 26th, 2015
1. PPRay (Ray Rosas & Peter Avalon)-This wasn’t even close. This slimy West Coast tag team came into the AWS Race for the Ring Tournament with a solid shot of winning the whole thing and they did just that. The AWS Tag Team Champions defeated Los Luchas on 1/23 to retain the titles, then beat Los Bandidos in Round 2, and then defeated Forever Hooligans in the Finals to win the AWS Wrestling Care Race for the Ring Tournament on 1/24. Despite having a great 2014, this is their first #1 ranking in the Tag Team Top 5 and honestly, we expect them to do it again before 2015 is up.
2. Dia.Hearts (BxB Hulk & Kzy)-This faction has been absolutely amazing in 2015. After a different pairing (Dragon Kid & BxB Hulk) were #2 last week, a different pairing grabs the #2 spot this week. This team defeated Millenials (T-Hawk & U-T) at Dragon Gate on 1/20 and then defeated Jimmyz (Jimmy Susumu & Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin) on 1/24 to go 2-0 for the week. This team has won their last 3 matches as a team. If a few of these teams within the stable can really team consistently it’s entirely possible that they’ll be taking a significant spot in the 2015 Tag Team Top 50 at the end of the year.
3. The Ring Rydas/OI4K (Ring Ryda Blue & Ring Ryda Red)-“A rose by any other name…” is just as good when it comes to this tag team. They absolutely own the Midwest indies (and elsewhere) when it comes to tag team wrestling. This brother tandem shot all the way up in the 2014 Tag Team Top 50 and they’re already making waves together in 2015. Call them OI4K or you can call them The Ring Rydas in JCW…but at the end of the day, you better call them successful. They are winners and let’s face it, that’s exactly what the Indy Power Rankings and the Tag Team Top 5 is all about.
4. Wild Burning/Burning Wild (Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori)-The former #1’s and AJPW Tag Team Champions teamed once again last week as they defeated Akebono & Masanobo Fuchi on 1/24 in a non-title match. They have won 6 of their last 7 matches and they continue to prove that they are one of the most dominant tag teams in Japan as they rack up win after win in 2015. With #1 ranking already in the bank this year, it will be interesting to see what else they can do as the year rolls along. Once again, their ranking helps prove that international talent is really kind of the new flavor of 2015 for the Indy Power Rankings and Tag Team Top 5.
5. Zero Gravity (Brett Gakiya & CJ Esparza)-It took an entire year, but this amazing Midwest tag team FINALLY gets into the Tag Team Top 5 after defeating The Hooligans in a Double Dog Collar and Chain Match at AAW on 1/23. With wins in 7 of their last 9 matches, this undersized tag team has been tearing it up recently without getting enough respect from the voters. In 2015 they have already beaten last year’s #1 (The Hooligans) in the Tag Team Top 50 as well as last year’s #4 (Team IOU). Amazing start to the year for a team who is likely going to start getting more recognition in 2015.
People’s Champs. Lethal Injection-The NEW ASWF Tag Team Champions DOMINATED and crushed all the other teams in the tag team online voting competition after beating Full Throttle on 1/24 to win the ASWF Tag Team Titles. You can hear a little bit of a rundown of that ASWF show and the big title win here:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/talkradio49/2015/01/28/aswf-aftermath-against-the-world-preview-show
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Killer Elite Squad
Michaels & Storm
And there it is, the 5 of the most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: