Here we go with the Top 10 independent stars of the world as well as the top five tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog; where we rank the best professional wrestlers from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 10 most popular wrestlers as well as the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending February 2, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of February 2nd, 2015
1. Kameron Kade (@KameronKade)-New week. New blood at #1 once again. Kameron Kade made a HUGE splash this week in the Top 10 as he proved how important tournaments are to the Indy Power Rankings Top 10 when he defeated Jayson Falcone, then Lance Altone, and then finally Tim Zbyzsko to win the USWA WrestleBowl tournament on 1/31. A 3-0 weekend earns him top honors this week as the man who had several mentions last year shoots all the way to the top of the ladder in the 2nd month of 2015. Congratulations to Kameron Kade on a stellar performance and we hope to see more out of him in the future. We should also note that because of the fan vote, he squeaked out his #1 this week as Kzy had zero votes and Kade finished #6 in the online voting competition with 21 votes. AGAIN, THE FAN VOTE MATTERS.
2. Kzy-Once again Dragon Gate produces a very high ranking member of the Top 10 as the Dragon Gate Open the Brave Gate Champion defeated Yosuke❤ Santa Maria in a non-title match on 1/26 at Dragon Gate, then teamed with Masaaki Mochizuki on 1/29 to beat Ryo "Jimmy" Saito and Jimmy Kagetora, then teamed with BxB Hulk on 1/31 to beat Jimmy Kagetora and Mr. Quu Quu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin, and then defeated Mondai Ryu on 2/1 to retain the title. With a 4-0 record and having won 9 and drawn in 1 of his last 10 matches, he looks to make a major impact in 2015 proving how big of a player Dragon Gate will be this year. If he could have garnered some fan support this week, he’d be sitting pretty at #1, but for now, he has to settle for #2.
3. Acid Haze-What a weekend for this Australian talent as he becomes the highest ranked wrestler to come from that continent. He is the NEW Snakepit Friday Night Fights Champion and NEW Snakepit Adelaide Open Champion after he defeated Wam Bam Bellows on 1/30 to win the FNF title and then beat Doc Kinkaid the same night to win the Adelaide Open title to go 2-0 for the week. The talent Down Under have been really making an impact in early 2015 and we’ll see if that continues as the year moves forward. One thing is for sure, they definitely come out to support their talent and VOTE in the online voting competition every week.
4. Aaron O’Malley-The second highest ranked wrestler from Australia is now Aaron O’Malley after he defeated Switchblade at NHPW in Australia on 1/26 in the morning session, then defeated “Lord” London Hargreaves in the afternoon and then teamed with “Australian Gothic” Heritor & RUIN to defeat Perth K9’s (Dane & Odin) & Seth Deadwell in the evening to go 3-0 for the week. There were several members of the Top 10 this week who went 2-0 but very few in the entire competition who went 3-0 or better. O’Malley shined this week and he is rewarded with his first ranking.
5. Ultimo Dragon (@TheUltimoDragon)-Here’s a serious blast from the past. While he’s not currently holding 8 or 9 titles like he was once famous for, he’s still a contender in the Land of the Rising Sun (coming soon to the U.S. for King of Indies). The NWA International Junior Heavyweight Champion; defeated Hajime Ohara at SUWA on 1/30, then teamed with Akebono & Genichiro Tenryu on 1/31 to defeat Suwama, Atsushi Aoki & Hikaru Sato to go 2-0 for the week. Perhaps this was a bit of a sentimental choice by the official voters (he got ZERO fan votes) but it was still a solid week from one of the best light heavyweights of all time.
6. Kimber Lee (@Kimber_Lee90)-As crazy as this sounds, this is the very first ranking in the Top 10 for one of the best female wrestlers…and one of the best wrestlers in the world, period. Luck has not been on her side in the past as she would go 3-1 on a weekend or 2-1 or something similar and she would JUST miss out on the Top 10. This was a different week for her as she teamed with JT Dunn to defeat The Influence at RWA and then defeated David Starr at Beyond Wrestling on 1/31 to go 2-0 for the week. This ranking is LONG overdue for this amazing talent.
7. Sugar Dunkerton (@SugarDunkerton)-The former #1 took a week off and comes back with a pretty strong ranking after defeating Raphael King at AWE on 1/29. With at least 4 straight wins, “Suge D” has been tearing it up in 2015. He is a serious contender for #1 in the 2015 IPR 100 if this continues. With him holding both the Strong Style Wrestling Heavyweight Title and the Resistance Pro Title, he’s going to have a lot more opportunities to get himself ranked throughout 2015. Next up: he defends the Strong Style title vs. Silas Young on 2/7. #3 in the online poll with 58 votes.
8. Mochi Miyagi –Our second female in the Indy Power Rankings Top 10 comes to us from Japan as Mochi Miyagi teamed with Mika Iida at Ice Ribbon on 1/28 to beat Maya Yukihi and Hiroe Nagahama, then teamed with Sawako Shimono at Wave on 1/30 to beat Fairy Nipponbashi and Yua Hayashi, and then wrapped up the week by defeating Kyuri at Ice Ribbon on 1/31. With a 3-0 week she has now won 7 of her last 9 matches and secures her first ranking because of it. Fantastic week for this talent.
9. El Ligero (@Ligero1)-After being ranked #1 at one point in 2014, he hasn’t been seen a lot in the Top 10 but he jumps back in here in early 2015 as the GPW British Champion, PBW Heavyweight Champion, NEWS British Champion and 1/2 of Infinite Promotions Tag Champs defeated Ringo Ryan at ASW UK on 1/30, then defeated Wild Boar, Martin Kirby & T-Bone in a four-way match at PWC on 1/31 to go 2-0 for the week. One of the UK’s (Mexico?) top talents is looking to build upon his 2014 IPR 100 Ranking (#49) with some big winsin 2015.
10. Ryan Kross-A 3-0 week earns him a spot in the Top 10 this week. Could he have been higher? Maybe, but one of his wins was by DQ which often divides the voters. Also, much like several others, he failed to garner any fan support in the online voting competition. He defeated Medallion by DQ at TWS on 1/31, then teamed with XL to beat Medallion and Kris Karnage the same night, and then defeated Johnny Khaos on 2/1. With weekends like this, you can expect to see him back in the Top 10 again.
Honorable Mention. Shynron (@Dragon_Shynron)-The former People’s Champ and CLL International All Star Champion defeated Fire Ant at Beyond Wrestling on 1/31. He JUST missed out on the Top 10 this week as he didn’t quite get enough fan support to bump him in.
People’s Champ. AC Riley (@ACRileyWI)-This talent is now a TWO time People’s Champ (once last year and now once this year) after he defeated Josh Calisto on 1/30 to run his record to 3-0 at RCCW. With 169 votes, the online voting competition ended up looking like a blow out after being close for much of the day.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Will Vendetta-#2 in the online poll with 62 votes
Dru Skillz-#4 in the online poll with 56 votes
Dan Archer-#5 in the online poll with 22 votes
Shane Mercer-Tied for #6 in the online poll with 21 votes
Devlin Kain-#8 in the online poll
Warpath-#9 in the online poll
Flame-#10 in the online poll
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of February 2nd, 2015
1. Monster Express (Shingo Takagi & Akira Tozawa)-In 2015, the Tag Team Top 5 has been dominated by Japanese talent and specifically, talent from Dragon Gate. Whether it’s Dia.Hearts or Monster Express, Dragon Gate has absolutely owned the Tag Team Top 5 this year. This week was no different as Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi teamed to defeat The Millenials (U-T & Yosuke
2. Loose Bastards (Adam Brooks & Krackerjak)-Australia came to represent again in the Tag Team Top 5 as the NEW OCW Tag Team Champions defeated Arm Dragons (“The Smash Hit” Joel Bateman & Josh “The Axe” Shooter), Cadman Turner & Vixsin and Chicos de Lucha in a Four Corners Elimination Match to become the inaugural champions on 1/30 in Australia, then defeated Gabriel Wolfe & Slade Mercer the same night to retain their titles. With a 2-0 record for the week they impressed the official voters just enough to slip into the #2 spot this week. The land Down Under truly is starting to showcase tag team wrestling in 2015.
3. Team 246 (Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo)-Our #3 this week comes to us from Japan as the Wrestle1 Tag Team Champions defeated Desperado (Kazma Sakamoto & Koji Doi) on 1/30 to retain their titles. With 12 straight wins as a team, they actually got a couple of #1 votes from the official voters. In fact, THREE teams were split amongst the voters with Monster Express of course coming out on top. That being said, Team 246 have been on the radar for weeks and it looks like just a matter of time before they end upin that coveted #1 spot.
4. Dia.Hearts (BxB Hulk & Kzy)-After being ranked #2 in the Tag Team Top 5 last week, this Dragon Gate tandem (as part of a bigger stable) won again vs. Jimmyz (Jimmy Kagetora & Mr. Quu Quu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin) on 1/31 to run their win streak to 4 straight. Dragon Gate has been the standard flag bearer for tag team wrestling on the indies in 2015 and this week was no different as that promotion got two teams into the Tag Team Top 5. Will the #1 team in the 2015 Tag Team Top 50 come from Dragon Gate? One thing is for sure, with all international talent now included, there has never been more parity.
5. Biff Busick & Drew Gulak-Surprisingly, this is the only American tag team in the Tag Team Top 5 this week, but what a win it was that got them there. With a victory in the main event of BeyondWrestling on 1/31 vs. Chris Hero & JT Dunn, they swayed the official voters just enough to throw their support towards them this week. This is a tag team who have won 5 of their last 6 matches and despite singles goals, may very well prove to be one of the most successful tag teams in 2015 if they continue to team.
People’s Champs. The Grind (Phage Warden Pumpkin King @PumpkinsGoBoom & Naiper @jnapspl)-After retaining the RCCW Tag Team Titles vs. Jarrod Jaxx & Jayson Masters on 1/30 they entered the online voting competition as the underdogs. For most of the day, The Solution out of Australia dominated the competition, but in the end, it was The Grind who pulled out 110 votes and won by a full 32 votes to become this week’s People’s Champs.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
YASU & Hide Kubota
Worst Case Scenario
Killjoy & Homeless Tim
Colt Cabana & McSugar
And there you have it, the 10 of the most popular independent wrestling stars as well as the 5 most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: