Here we go with the Top 10 independent stars of the world as well as the top five tag teams of the world this week on the Indy Power Rankings on The Barbwire Blog; where we rank the best professional wrestlers from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Canada to Mexico, from Europe to Japan. we’ll count down the 10 most popular wrestlers as well as the 5 most popular tag teams in the world this week, hot off the votes from the online poll as well as the votes from independent wrestling writers for the week ending February 9, 2015. Now, on with the countdown!
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of February 9th, 2015
1. Sugar Dunkerton (@SugarDunkerton)-Last week he was ranked #7 after a week off and a #1 ranking the prior week. On Twitter he tweeted that he had some work to do at Freelance Wrestling & Strong Style Wrestling. On 2/6 he teamed with Haunter Strange, Kaden Sade, & Josh Crow at Freelance Wrestling to defeat Masked Character, Mallaki Matthews, Bolt Brady, & GPA. He followed that up with a Strong Style Wrestling Heavyweight Title defense vs. Silas Young on 2/7 to retain the title in his first defense. With a 2-0 weekend and 5 straight wins, Sugar Dunkerton is the frontrunner for #1 in the 2015 IPR 100 right now. #2 in the online poll with 43 votes.
2. Akira Tozawa (@TozawaAkira)-After being #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 last week, Tozawa built on his success this week in singles. Much like Kzy last week at Dragon Gate, Tozawa got a ton of support from the official voters who felt that his 4-0 week last week was enough to get him the #1 spot this week. Hard to argue with his recent success as he teamed with Shingo Takagi at Dragon Gate on 2/4 to defeat YAMATO and Gamma, then teamed with Uhaa Nation on 2/5 to beat Cyber Kong and Don Fujii, then defeated El Lindaman on 2/6, then teamed with Uhaa Nation on 2/7 to beat Dia.HEARTS (Kzy & Masaaki Mochizuki) to go 4-0 for the week. With wins in at least his last 10 matches, he has been absolutely unstoppable as of late.
3. People’s Champ. Santana Garrett (@BrittanyTNA)-Florida indies have been a friendly place for one of the best women’s wrestlers in the world as she scored one of the biggest wins of her career over the weekend. On 2/7 she became the NEW NWA Women’s World Champion after defeating Barbi Hayden (who had held that title since 1/25/14) at NWA Signature Pro Wrestling. That HUGE victory combined with her fan support shot her all the way up the Top 10 this week. She’s been mentioned a few times but this is her first ranking. We expect more of that in the future from her as the year rolls along. Her popularity helped her along this week as she won the online voting competition with 68 votes to become this week’s People’s Champ.
4. Demolition Davies (facebook.com/demolition.davies)-What a GREAT weekend for this massive monster. He ran through four matches in 2 nights to become the NEW World Heavyweight Champion as he defeated The Hellvetic Warrior on 2/6, then Adrian Severe on 2/7, then Tommy Blue Eyes, and finally T-K-O to win the title in the Finals for the vacant title. It was an absolutely dominant for this European powerhouse. With almost 5 years of experience under his belt, he makes his first appearance in the Top 10 since we began in 2013. With this type of weekend, it was impossible to snub him. It will be interesting to see what the 6’3” 400 pound big-man can do going forward.
5. John Wayne Murdoch (@johnmurdoch25)-After having a tremendous 2014, JWM had slowed down a bit in 2015 as far as his wins and losses. He struggled in some losses to the likes of Kongo Kong and Shane Mercer, but this past week he got right back on track with a solid 3-0 weekend. The EPW Openweight Champion teamed with Trik Davis, Team IOU (Nick Iggy & Kerry Awful), Owen Travers & Reed Bentley at IWA Mid-South on 2/5 to defeat The Elements of Wrestling 2.0 (Kaden Sade & Josh Crow), Zodiak, Nick Doepp, Zakk Sawyers & Mikey McFinnegan, and then defeated Shank Barzini at CCW on 2/7, and then finally teamed with Reed Bentley the same night to beat The Viking War Party in a much-talked about WAR. This ranking could be just the thing to begin to springboard him into further success. Tied for #7 in the online poll.
6. Reed Bentley (@TheReedBentley)-Reed “By God” Bentley had an almost identical weekend to John Wayne Murdoch but was ranked one spot lower. Why? Difficult to understand why some of the voters went the way they did with these two. That being said, it shouldn’t take away from his weekend as he, like Murdoch, went 3-0 with wins at IWA Mid-South and 2 victories at CCW in Evansville, IN. With a BIG dog collar match coming up vs. JC Rotten on 2/12 at IWA Mid-South’s Heartbreak, he’ll have quite a chance to build on this week’s ranking. Tied for #10 in the online poll.
7. Dave Crist (@OIFK1324)-The latter part of 2014 and the very early portion of 2015 belonged to Jake Crist, but the tide has turned a bit as ½ of OI4K has now garnered some singles success of his own. On 2/4 he became the NEW Rockstar Pro American Luchacore Champion defeated Zakk Spadez, Colin Delaney, Pompano Joe, Flex Jordan, Jeremiah, Alex Colon, Draven, Jerrod Harris, Sid Fabulous, & Zach Wentz in an 11 Man Scramble Match on 2/4 to win the title, then defeated Remi Wilkins, Jeremiah, Alex Colon, Nate Wings, “Black Jaws” Gerome Phillips and Zakk Spadez in an aerial assault on 2/6 and then was part of the winning team in the five-on-five Elimination Ultraviolent Island of Death Match the same night. With a 3-0 record, there’s definitely a good argument that he should have been even higher but with him working weekly on most weeks, you can expect to see more of him going forward.
8. Rampage Brown (@RampageBrown)-GREAT week for the NGW UK Undisputed Champion (and ASW British Heavyweight Champion and 1/2 of PCW Tag Team Champs) as he defeated Charlie Garrett on 2/6 to retain the title, then defeated Robbie X on 2/7 to retain the title again, and then finally defeated Joe Coffy at TCW on 2/8 to go 3-0 for the week. He is truly one of the UK’s finest right now as he has been popping up in the rankings since early 2014. With him doing a little work in TNA, he hasn’t forgotten the indies as he’s still been picking up win after win.
9. Candice LeRae (@CandiceLeRae)-In 2014 ½ of the World’s Cutest Tag Team wasn’t seen in the Top 10 nearly as much as one might expect. In the 2nd month of 2015, she is off to a decent start as the FWE Women’s Champion (and ½ of the PWG & FSP Tag Champs) teamed with Joey Ryan at Freelance Wrestling on 2/6 to defeat Beauty and The Beast (Rob Matter & Stevie Fierce) and then defeated Veda Scott on 2/7 at FWE to retain the title. With a 2-0 record for the week and true popularity on the indies, she made her way into her first ranking for the year.
10. Jimmy Havoc (@JimmyHavoc)-He is the NEW FPW Champion (as well as the Progress Champion and NWA UK Junior Heavyweight Champion) and he gets into the Top 10 for the first time this year after he teamed with Addy Starr at XWA on 2/6 to defeat Lion Kid & Kay Lee Ray, then won the Gold Rush Rumble the same night, then won a 30-Man Rumble Match to win the FPW Title. With a 3-0 record for the week, he is now undefeated in his last 7 matches (6 wins, 1 draw). For the second straight week, the UK rounds out the Top 10 with two solid rankings.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Tormenta-#3 in the online poll with 23 votes
Kongo Kong-Tied for #5 in the online poll
Shane Mercer-#4 in the online poll with 22 votes
F.O.X.-Tied for #5 in the online poll
Leah Owens-Tied for #7 in the online poll
Mike Outlaw-#9 in the online poll
Mickie Knuckles-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Damien Wayne-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Mohamed Ali Vaez
Timmy Lou Retton
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of February 9th, 2015
1. Monster Express (Shingo Takagi & Akira Tozawa)-For the first time EVER, the fan vote broke the tie to decide the #1 spot. Because of the fans, Monster Express were #1 this week, but not just Monster Express, it was the pairing of Shingo Takagi & Akira Tozawa who gained their 2nd straight #1 ranking. This week they defeated MAD BLANKEY (YAMATO and Gamma) at Dragon Gate on 2/4, then teamed with Uhaa Nation and Shachihoko BOY on 2/8 to beat MAD BLANKEY (YAMATO, Naruki Doi, Gamma and Mondai Ryu) to go 2-0 for the week. With 7 straight wins as a team, they are on a roll like no one else in the world right now on the indies. This Dragon Gate tag team as part of a bigger stable has been absolutely dominant the last few weeks. We’ll see if Dragon Gate can continue to dominate the Tag Team Top 5 as 2015 rolls along.
2. Monster Express (Uhaa Nation & Akira Tozawa)-If you look at the past week in a vacuum, this tag team would have a shot at #1 as they went 2-0 as a team as they teamed to defeat Dia.HEARTS on 2/7 and then teamed with Shingo Takagi & Syachihoko BOY to defeat MAD BLANKEY (Gamma, Mondai Ryu, Naruki Doi, & YAMATO) on 2/8. This would also mark the first time that two teams from one stable take the #1 and #2 spot in the Tag Team Top 5 AND have one wrestler (Akira Tozawa) ranked in the Tag Team Top 5 in two different tag teams. Also, Tozawa is the first to be ranked in the Singles Top 10 and TWICE in the Tag Team Top 5 in the same week. This will be a different record to break, but if any promotion can make it happen, Dragon Gate can as their focus is tag team wrestling in multiple varieties.
3. Tryout Show Rejects (Reed Bentley & John Wayne Murdoch)-It was a tremendous week for a team who is really starting to pick up some momentum in both singles and as a tag team. This week they built on their success as a team as they teamed together with Team IOU, Owen Travers, & Trik Davis to defeat The Elements of Wrestling 2.0 (Josh Crow & Kaden Sade), Mikey McFinnegan, Nick Doepp, Zakk Sawyers & Zodiak at IWA Mid-South on 2/5; then defeated The Viking War Party (Alex Rudolph & Jake Parnell) at CCW on 2/7 to go 2-0 for the week. Big week for them as they are looking to build a reputation as a dependable tag team in 2015.
4. Juicy Product (David Starr & JT Dunn)-At one point they had 4 sets of tag team titles and they had a record number of #1’s in the Tag Team Top 5 in 2014. They fell a little bit as the year came to a close, but still ended up as the #3 tag team in the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014. 2015 has been a bit slow for the team as well, but their reputation most definitely helped them this week as they get their first ranking together in quite some time. If they can build on their win vs. Trent ? & Bandido Jr. at FEW on 2/7, you can look forward to seeing more of them in the Tag Team Top 5 in 2015.
5. Walk on the Wylde Side (Adam Wylde & Robbie Walker)-The winners of the OVW Nightmare Cup after defeating Fabulous Freebodies and War Machine in the Finals get into the Tag Team Top 5 for the very first time. With 5 straight wins as a team and OVW running weekly, they’ll have multiple opportunities to build on this ranking. When it comes to the Indy Power Rankings, you’ve seen in the past that it’s a marathon and not a sprint (in most cases) to get to the #1 spot. If they can continue to knock off tag teams, you’ll see them contending for the top spot.
People’s Champs. The Soul Shooters (Dru Skillz @DruSkillz & Appollo Starr)-Week after week this tag team competes in the online voting competition (after a victory) and more often than not, they dominate. They get rewarded with their first “People’s Champs” award of 2015 as they collected 73 votes to win by a full 36 votes in an easy victory. You will definitely see more of the new WAR Tag Team Champions in 2015.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Rose & Lee Russell
Four Star Heroes
The “N” Words
Wolves of the Sea
Steel & Broday Jay
And there you have it, the 10 of the most popular independent wrestling stars as well as the 5 most popular independent tag teams of the world as voted by the fans as well as independent wrestling writers across the country. To check out their official web site where YOU can participate in the weekly online poll voting, visit indypowerrankingsipr.wordpress.com as well as their Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/IndyPowerRankings. They can be found on Twitter @IndyPowerRankin. They can also be found on Instagram @IndyPowerRankings.
You can follow me on Twitter @matthewhollie as well as The Barbwire Blog’s official accounts: